KEF LS50 - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 10:53 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,
I appreciate the discussion here regarding the various uni-q drivers. After seeing Zaph's results on the q100 driver I decided to order a set for myself as well as the hts3001se to test the drivers.

I just wrapped up testing on the HTS3001SE coaxial driver and provided my own general thoughts throughout. It's pretty lengthy and there's a lot of pictures/data. I hope you guys get something out of it. I had a fun time doing it and look forward to some discussion on it. Particularly regarding the response of the woofer above 2khz.

If this isn't the best place to post forgive me. I just didn't think starting a new thread was necessary given the discussion here.

Here's the link:

http://medleysmusings.com/kefs-hts30...acked-the-egg/

I tested the tweeter by itself, the woofer by itself, then tested the driver set with the supplied passive crossover. I didn't test the egg speaker itself as I didn't have real interest but I will try to do an FR of it sometime if there's a legitimate reason to.

A couple sample pictures...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th January 2013, 07:12 AM   #82
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Hi bikinpunk,
very interesting test results from the drive units in these speakers. I has not realised that KEF had made a HT version. It would be very interesting to read what you think about the sound quality.

Over the Christmas break, as planned, I managed to get a listen of the LS 50's at SuperFi in Camden, London. I was full of eager anticipation due to the reviews that I had been reading.
The LS50's were already on stands in the listening room but were not plugged in so I thought with a quick switch over of leads I would be hearing them for the first time! But to my utter amazement it took the staff nearly 20 minutes before they could get any sound out of them. They had a CD player, DAC, power amp set up, and did not seem to know what plugs went where!? They forgot to turn off the power amp whilst pulling out plugs so at one stage a "crack" came from the speakers that I swear must have blown the tweeters. When some Amy Whitehouse started playing I have never been more unimpressed by a set of speakers. I don't know what they had done, but I know that they could not have been right, if the tweeters were not blown then what? They sounded flat, dull, and grainy.
Wasted a couple of hours that morning I can tell you, and would not buy anything from SuperFi from what I experienced.
Old 7th January 2013, 02:41 PM   #83
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

There is a test of LS50 in a Finnish hifi-magazine. The voicing is indeed bright and dry (monitor like?) Bass rolls off like a closed box until tuning fq and treble is high from 3kHz up on-axis. The overall verdict is very good for the price. Hifimaailma.fi - Etusivu

I guess you would like to have subwoofer(s) with them. I have a triplet of SEAS coaxials in closed boxes in my HT room and I like the sound very much. Could be rather similar to LS50.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 7th January 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 03:02 PM   #84
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
I have a triplet of SEAS coaxials in closed boxes in my HT room and I like the sound very much. Could be rather similar to LS50.
You may be surprised by the difference.
Old 7th January 2013, 03:38 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Here is the guide to AW-7 http://www.hifitalo.com/pdf/aw7.pdf

and it measures like this. Rather similar to LS50. I'd like to hear them next to each other.
Attached Images
File Type: png aw-7 spl.png (131.1 KB, 345 views)
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 7th January 2013, 04:56 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Here LS50 on axis and power response from KEF datasheet http://www.kefamerica.com/july12/LS5...te%20Paper.pdf

Notice similarity to AW-7. Sorry, I don't have a Hifimaailma measurement of LS50. You'd have to buy the magazine... but perhaps tomorrow I'll go and take a pic with my smartphone. The graph is even more like aw and it was done by the same guy http://www.kar.fi/KARAudio/Services/Loudspk_meas.html
Attached Images
File Type: png ls50 onaxis spl.png (48.9 KB, 340 views)
File Type: png ls50 power resp.png (49.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Juhazi; 7th January 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:22 PM   #87
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryo View Post
I was full of eager anticipation due to the reviews that I had been reading.
They were demoed at TAVES last fall and, though admittedly under show conditions, I had the same disconnect between expectations and experience. Based only on TAVES a lowly pair of cheaper, and self-powered, Genelec 8030A would leave them for dead.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:29 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Going off what I posted earlier regarding the drive unit testing from the HTS3001SE, I just tested the speaker with the driver in the egg enclosure. Not too bad. Here's the link:
Kef HTS3001SE Speaker Test | Medley's Musings

Some sample data:

Old 9th January 2013, 01:52 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Face, I guess you were right, I might hear the difference ot the sound of my AW-7 (see post #85) and KEF LS50! Both measured to 2,5 meters, level normalized to 1m.

And I really think that there is hidden potential in the KEF driver!

Here LS50 measurements published in http://www.hifimaailma.fi/lehdet.php?sisallys=10_2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEF LS50 measured.jpg (138.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Juhazi; 9th January 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 08:15 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I have a long term love affair with KEF speakers and have used them at home and in car for many years.. All their uni-q versions. I even have a pair in my garage! Now, y question is this - I use pro audio drivers in my car (B&C DE250 & 18sound6ND430) and I fancy trying a set of uniq drivers again.. I did use the KEF Kar 160q for years and the 8" version of the same driver too..

My question Is this - which driver'should i experiment with?? I have been looking at the Q100 and the Q300 drivers, one is a 5.25 and the other a 6.5 cone. Are there big differences between the two units? And would one be better at mounting totally off axis in comparison to the other? The uniq I had in the car before were aimed nearly on axis in the kicks and were 6.5", so the Q300 drivers would slip straight into these builds, I just wondered if the 300 drivers lack compared to the 100 drivers? (I only ask as KEF seems to have used the 5.25 driver in many more high end applications, Blade, LS50 and I was wondering I the 6.5" cone is a disadvantage to pure fidelity?? The other option to mounting them in the kick panels in the car is to mount them flat in the doors.. This could give me the best stage width, but I would need the driver that works best at such an extreme off axis angle..

Also, what crossover point as I'd be running these active from a Rane crossover.

Last edited by The Rug Doctor; 10th April 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!