KEF LS50 - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 09:26 PM   #61
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link Melo theory.......just makes me want to audition them even more. Roll on Christmas when I'll be in London. Looking forward to it!
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:17 PM   #62
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, the LS50 is an insane value at $1500. JA gave this speaker a class A rating. I can't believe that KEF is allowing that transducer to be used in such a way. Most companies would never allow it to happen.. They would use it only in their flagship. Thanks Jack. I'm pretty sure you had something to do with it..I'm saving up for it starting right now.

Last edited by Remlab; 3rd December 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:34 PM   #63
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Be very careful about JA's measurements on Stereophile. Read the title of the on-axis measurement. The key words are, "...averaged across 30 horizontal window..." and then look at the off-axis measurements. The off-axis shows a narrowing response, which you'd expect from a tweeter. But then how come the 30 degree horizontal window response is flat? The only way it will be flat is if the on-axis has a rising response.

Then look at the in-room measurement. That is not a well-balanced speaker. It should follow a Bruel-Kjaer type of curve, where its flat between 100-500 Hz and then it's a continuous falling response. This LS50 will sound bright, hyper detailed at first, typical hi-fi sound, fatiguing in the long run.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:42 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Be very careful about JA's measurements on Stereophile. Read the title of the on-axis measurement. The key words are, "...averaged across 30 horizontal window..." and then look at the off-axis measurements. The off-axis shows a narrowing response, which you'd expect from a tweeter. But then how come the 30 degree horizontal window response is flat? The only way it will be flat is if the on-axis has a rising response.

Then look at the in-room measurement. That is not a well-balanced speaker. It should follow a Bruel-Kjaer type of curve, where its flat between 100-500 Hz and then it's a continuous falling response. This LS50 will sound bright, hyper detailed at first, typical hi-fi sound, fatiguing in the long run.
Here is the same driver in the KEF R500 from 500hz & up. True anechoic measurements..
NRC Measurements: KEF R500

Last edited by Remlab; 3rd December 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:43 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
In my opinion, the LS50 is an insane value at $1500. JA gave this speaker a class A rating. I can't believe that KEF is allowing that transducer to be used in such a way. Most companies would never allow it to happen.. They would use it only in their flagship. Thanks Jack. I'm pretty sure you had something to do with it..I'm saving up for it starting right now.
I don't think these are an insane value when you figure in the cost of materials.
You might think so based on performance, but I like to look at the whole package.....design, materials, labor and performance.
Magnepan MMG's are an insane value, not these.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:56 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Hmm... those are better looking measurements... The woofer is beaming by the time the tweeter comes in and there is a broad depression between 1 kHz and 3 kHz. Not super linear, but not bad.

Agree with Melo. They are okay at $1500. You'd need subs for sure. Can do much better with diy.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:17 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Hmm... those are better looking measurements... The woofer is beaming by the time the tweeter comes in and there is a broad depression between 1 kHz and 3 kHz. Not super linear, but not bad.

Agree with Melo. They are okay at $1500. You'd need subs for sure. Can do much better with diy.
That transducer is reason behind my thinking. It's the same one used in the blade. It is also the culmination of millions of dollars(Pounds?) worth of research in concentric driver technology. It is arguably the most advanced driver ever made. You also can't clone it in any way with DIY.
Old 4th December 2012, 01:03 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Speaker Exchange | KEF Q100 Midrange/HF 6″ Dual Concentric Driver
Old 4th December 2012, 01:46 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Here is a guy who I assume is sourcing his KEF drive units from the speaker exchange(You can see the question I asked him back in march). He's based in they same city. I wonder how many they have left in stock. I also wonder why KEF is letting him use them in a commercial design. He and KEF were both exhibiting at the Newport show. I must say, his speaker sounded very good..
http://www.stereophile.com/content/soundfield-audio-0

Last edited by Remlab; 4th December 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 4th December 2012, 02:21 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
That transducer is reason behind my thinking. It's the same one used in the blade. It is also the culmination of millions of dollars(Pounds?) worth of research in concentric driver technology. It is arguably the most advanced driver ever made. You also can't clone it in any way with DIY.
Well, sure they spent a lot on research for there drivers but that's over many years and a lot of sales. Wording like this make it sound like this one driver cost millions in research!
This is just the next step for the uni-q drivers.
I had some uni-q bookshelves and they cost 250, I'm sure at that point they spent 800,000 bucks according to the million dollar reasoning.
Now just because these new ones improve on those surely doesn't justify the huge price difference for slightly more costly materials.
I mean, this is a case of charging the most for the least amount of materials, just because it performs great shouldn't justify the cost. The designing team doesn't see that extra loot.
Great designs should only be good for a brand getting respect and greater sales based on competitive prices for the amount of materials and labor.
Well, that's how I think about it, but I would make a poor capitalist

Hide this!Advertise here!