KEF LS50 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 08:46 PM   #21
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Hey Joe,
now this is what I was hoping would happen; someone who has actually heard the LS50. I'm so glad that you posted your initial thoughts on these speakers. Maybe folks will sit up and take notice now!
I saw a video taken in a room at the Munich Show where the LS50's were being demonstrated, and in the background some fella walks up to the screen behind the speakers to take a look to see (presumably) if there were larger speakers lurking behind and hidden fron view. He must have thought they were good!
I will definitely search for them the next time I'm in London for a listen.
Nice one.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:59 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryo View Post
Hey Joe,
now this is what I was hoping would happen; someone who has actually heard the LS50.
This is diyAudio...you can generate 50 pages of "informed discussion" on something that doesn't even exist yet!
Old 24th August 2012, 10:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hello,

There is a white paper which outlines some details on the design and development of the LS50. If you are interested download a copy here: www.kefamerica.com/july12/LS50%20White%20Paper.pdf

All the best, Jack.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:17 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

What speakers were you demonstrating Joe?
Old 25th August 2012, 05:16 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I was running Western Electric 15As with a large slot-loaded subwoofer (2 x EV30W and 2x Altec 515). Big stuff.

The KEF guys came by after work to listen to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath at concert levels. I congratulated them on the LS50. They were quite proud of it.
Old 25th August 2012, 09:35 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Why is this in the full range forum?
Old 25th August 2012, 11:59 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Does it matter?
It is almost a full range speaker/driver that we are talking about.
If the thread needs to be moved to another forum, then that's fine by me. I'm just keen to get some first hand reports of the speakers and generate some discussion about them.
Old 26th August 2012, 02:04 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Just to add that the linked driver of the Speaker Exchange website is not the one in the LS50. It looks like a dead ringer of the one in the relatively affordable Q700.
I must say that I liked the Q700 and Q900 quite a bit when I listened to them around February. I brought a friend who wanted to upgrade his hifi chain to a few decent shops and these KEFs were very nice indeed for the money.
I also had a brief listen to the more upper range R100 and that one was better still (my friend however wanted more bass extension, hence for him the Q900 was it); more refined and 3D. The driver in the R100 looks more like the one in the LS50, but I expect other differences next to the colour.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:28 PM   #29
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
Just to add that the linked driver of the Speaker Exchange website is not the one in the LS50. It looks like a dead ringer of the one in the relatively affordable Q700.
As has been stated several times in this thread, it's the driver from the Q100. The Q700 uses a larger midwoofer.

It is more likely than not also the Q500 (5.25" tower), but there's only one person who has posted on this thread who would know that for sure (Mr. Oclee Brown).
Old 26th August 2012, 10:34 PM   #30
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackocleebrown View Post
Hello,

There is a white paper which outlines some details on the design and development of the LS50. If you are interested download a copy here: www.kefamerica.com/july12/LS50%20White%20Paper.pdf

Mr. Oclee Brown, thanks for joining the discussion. (Though it is annoying that marketing at KEF and Tannoy alike seem to reflexively want to change "phase plug" to "waveguide." Your AES paper with Mark Dodd uses the correct term for the Tangerine plug, at least.)

If you don't mind, I have two questions for you about the LS50.

First, the convex baffle shape. One thing I noticed immediately about KEF's little KHT-3005SE eggs is that they throw an image that combines specificity of placement with breadth and depth of field to a degree one rarely hears outside of a live concerto with an orchestra backing up a soloist. Some speakers do the pinpoint thing well, some do the soundstage size thing well, but KEF's cheap little eggs nail both of them.* Obviously, they have their limits due to their size/efficiency/volume displacement, but those eggs are a very well-sorted little speakers. One thing unique about those speakers is that the baffle is slightly dished. While I haven't heard the Blade, given the 3005SE's imaging prowess I wasn't at all surprised to see the Blade's Uni-Q in a similarly-shaped baffle, but with large roundovers to reduce diffraction rather than the 3005SE's sharp edges. But the LS50's baffle is curved in the opposite direction. Any thoughts you are willing to share about the perceptual impact of different baffle shapes for concentric drivers?

My second question is about voicing. I suspect one reason Joe Roberts, given his general equipment/loudspeaker preferences, may have liked them is that they seem to be voiced voiced to add some emphasis to the midrange. (Per the HFNRR measurements.) The R300, per Home Theater Magazine's measurements, is similarly voiced, whereas the R600c center is voiced more traditional "high fidelity" (smoothly declining sound power with frequency).
So my question is, what are the perceptual advantages of voicing a speaker midrange-heavy compared to more classically "neutral"? Market differentiation issue ("that sounds warm") or are there other reasons to choose a midrange-heavy target curve for a small loudspeaker?

*Incidentally, that's also not a trick a directly comparable speaker - similar volume with a similarly-sized concentric driver in a similarly-shaped cabinet made out of similar material - can pull. I am, of course, talking about Tannoy's little Arena eggs.

Hide this!Advertise here!