Mini-Monitor Project Going On

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am now building a small mini-monitor of the highest quality possible. I build it for myself so it is almost a "cost is no object" project.

It is inspired in parts by the small sonus faber monitor and by the Hatt-SE by Tony Gee: HATT-SE at Humble Homemade Hi-fi

The idea is making a small 2 way speaker using the Seas W12CY woofer and a Scan-Speak 9300 tweeter. The cabinet will be a kind of round shape with multi layer of wood laminated with some Lead sheets in between for added mass.

Phase 1 is now completes, I have build the frame of the cabinets.
The shape is quite easy to build.

Attachments

• iso petit.jpg
    iso petit.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,002
Phase 2 lamination

This is a mess!!

I started to glue the wood sheets on the frame using epoxy glue. This is long and messy. This project is gonna be long...

I will put maybe 5 layers with a thin (2mm) lead sheet somewhere in the structure.

Attachments

• laminagepetit.jpg
    laminagepetit.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,887
thank you for the link!

The cabinet will be approx 4.5 litres volume and the f3 can go as low as 55 hz approx. The reflex port will be under the cabinet.
See this tread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20900

I will design the filter later when the cabinet will be finished. I am thinking about a 2nd order (electrical) with a LC filter on the woofer at approx 2250-2500Hz.
Should I go higher or lower with the X-over point??

F

I don't know if this is important enough to worry about at this stage of the project or not, but you might think about carrying that nice rounded effect all the way up to get rid of those corners at the sides of the drivers, that way if you flush mount the divers you will have practically no chance of edge diffraction on the speaker anywhere. And in my opinion when you build cost-no-object speakers for yourself, you can take whatever measures necessary to get rid of just about every known speaker plague.

But at the same time, if it is too late in the construction phase to factor that in, I know they will sound awesome with that drver selection you have going on.

And I would personally recommend you crossover at 2500 or even higher with that quality woofer. Don't give your tweeter too much to worry about.

but you might think about carrying that nice rounded effect all the way up to get rid of those corners at the sides of the drivers, that way if you flush mount the divers you will have practically no chance of edge diffraction on the speaker anywhere.

Sure I will, this is the plan, the front baffle will be round with no edges.

mine is build up bij separate cnc'd ribs but due to lousy cnc I'm stuck for now.

Cutting the layers is not so long. In 2-3 hours with a jig saw, you can cut them yourself. But there will be a lot of sanding.

I will try using Tony Gee serie filter, but the tweter is not the same and the cabinet is not the same shape. I will also try my own filter.
I have access to high quality spectrum analysers and calsod so I will design a good one later.
F

lead sheet

Hi

I work on this VERY slowly

I have now laminated 2 layers of wood and started to glue the lead. Beware, i'ts toxic!

This is going OK with not so much problems but it's long and messy. The enclosure is becoming heavier and stiffer. Good!

F

Attachments

• mini lead.jpg
    mini lead.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,523
I trimmed the lead sheet with a utility knife. It makes less debris.
I tried to cut it a little recessed so i don't have to cut it with the router. Then, fill the hole with glue. On some locations, however, the cut was not so great and i had to cut it with the router. It makes a lot of lead chunks which is not good. Whatever you do, wear a mask and NEVER sand the lead. It produces lead dust which is BAD!

The wood is a kind of cheap laminate stuff i got at depot hardware store. It is a little too light so it's not so great but it does fold easily. Anyway, with the lead, and good epoxy glue, everything is very solid. There is some resonance still but with good damping material and felt sheets inside, i guess it will become dead enough.

This technique requires A LOT of work (and patience) so take that into consideration before starting.

great. the lead sheet adds quite a bit of mass. i did something similar only my lead sheet was on the inside of the cabinet. however after listening to this sort of cabinet i am now moving away form this mass loaded stuff. i think there might be some truth in that mass loaded designs only store more energy and release it later thereby distorting the music. the design attached is a "mini monitor" with a subcabinet integrated.

Attachments

• front of speaker.jpg
    front of speaker.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 903
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.