Vifa P17WJ and Seas 27TDFC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Since these woofers are available again I would like to build a pair of 2-way 15L bookshelves (or 22L floorstands, heaven't decided yet) with this woofer. But instead of buying some Vifa D27TG-35-06, which have been used in many other popular projects with this woofer, I would like to use the Seas 27TDFC H1189 instead because I think it is in fact the better tweeter.

Did anyone try this combination before or has experiences with these two tweeters in comparison?

I would also love to try a simple 1st-order crossover, and this is where I think the Seas tweeters would work considerably better than the Vifas.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Martin

That Vifa P17WJ looks a terrific polycone in the mould of the famous P13WH. Astonishingly flat frequency response. :D

Can't go wrong really. It happens to be remarkably similar electrically to the Morel 638 which suggests to me this circuit will work out of the box apart from some modification to the tweeter section for Fs and Zobel value and level for the SEAS. BTW this is a closed box wallmounter. You can figure out if you prefer reflex and box size yourself.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/206843-sreten-speakerman-go-series-xos-56.html#post3046046

Suitable parallel crossover would be 1st order bass/2nd order treble or 2nd order bass/3rd order treble with various levels of bafflestep compensation depending on placement, I'd think. Plenty of examples available through Google. For all that, I don't see much in it between the two tweeters apart from the Vifa being about 2dB louder.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.