sanity check for modified Audax HT kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all....
I was considering building the audax home theater kit since I am new to this and have heard good things about it. I am seriously considering modifying the mains to make them floor standing as I am partial to that design. This got me thinking and I am considering throwing the audax sub used in the kit as a seperate subwoofer into the towers as side firing woofers. I will achieve the 80 L called for in the kit by keeping the dimensions for the width and depth the same as in the kit and adjusting the height for the speaker. The total height of the speaker would be about 5 ft. putting the tweeter at 4 ft. This seems to be feasible as the sub's F3 is 30 Hz and it is tuned to 30 Hz so bass directionality shouldn't come into play. I guess my main question is do you think this will put the tweeters too high? I have read that it is definately better to err high rather than low on tweeter height. What do you think? I am still going to use a seperate subwoofer for the system, but thought that since I would modify the L/R mains to be towers I would see about adding the subwoofer to it. Does this sound like a good idea? For some reason I like the idea of having side firing woofers in my mains. Let me know what you think.

Even though I haven't heard them I read that the HT designs (by Joe D'Appolito no less) are rather good save the subwoofer. If you want to integrate the sub you might probably just as well go for one of the sealed options around (I'm currently looking into Blueprint drivers, talk about value for money! , $79 for the 1201) and want to build a sub with the 1201 which should give you an F3 of around 34 Hz (Qts 0.85) in a 40l Box or 32 Hz in 80l (Qts .707) and with an Xmax of 12 mm (DUMAX one way) you'll have no need for more (or who knows, but 108 dB@150W in free space per sub should be enough). One catch is that it has a sensitivity of only 86 dB/2.83V/1m for a 4 Ohm driver but a healthy power handling of 450W.

The best would probably be to bi-amp the whole thing and run the whole system sealed (also saving you space on the mid-high unit) with an x-o of around 100 Hz.

Tweeters should generally be mounted at ear height if at all possible. Many people recomend placing it off center on the baffle, but I'd follow the design and only lengthen the box to accomodate the sub.

Wish you well with your efforts

Martin Goedeke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.