DIY 2-way HiVi speakers (reusing denon box)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Im a noob when it comes to DIY audio so please bear with me =)

This will be my first DIY audio project so im a bit confused as to what i need to get/do.

Currently im going to be acquring a pair of old Denon bookshelfs. They are rated at 50W @ 6ohm. I currently using a yamaha 373 100w p channel AVR (it can do 8ohm as well)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wbpkb3vyndimqu/2012-08-09 20.40.57.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6bzop42xnv9x1c/2012-08-09 20.39.58.jpg

Im guessing they are going to have a 4-5" driver and a 1inch tweeter or there abouts.

I would like to replace the drivers with HiVi drivers, but after reading the specs and a bit about crossovers, i get the feeling that i still got a lot to work out before i can just plug these in

i would like to use these:

HiVi TN25 Fabric Dome Tweeter
HiVi TN25 Fabric Dome Tweeter 297-408

HiVi B4N 4" Aluminum Midbass Round Frame
HiVi B4N 4" Aluminum Midbass Round Frame 297-429

or most likely
HiVi M5N 5" Aluminum/Magnesium Midbass
HiVi M5N 5" Aluminum/Magnesium Midbass 297-436

Can anyone tell me upon getting this box, what i might have to do with the internals? will i have to replace the crossover to allow for a total of 100w? What about the ohms since the tweeter and the m5n are running on different ohms?

Any help would be appreciated, i dont know anything about crossovers, how they work or even how to buy/design one =\ Would i be able to buy them off someone who makes these?

Thanks in advance
A

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Why?
Is it just for the learning experience?
Or do you just want more bass or simply louder??
To be honest those generic boxes are usually better left alone except for filling with fibreglass and foam/polyester.
If you really want a small speaker to handle 100 watts you will need to design from scratch using a box and XO development program, but 10-20 honest watts at normal listening distances is LOUD

65956291015460269437173-2727394-700_700.jpg

Hi,

Fairly generic drivers. If you change the drivers you need a proper matching
x/o. The bass/mids need to be suitable for the box volume and port tuning.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.