2012 Summer project - PM's Cello Legend - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2012 Summer project - PM's Cello Legend

Report of 2012 Summer project

Title: Poor man's Cello Legend

Goal: To build a fairly good sounding 3-way closed box at minimal budget and minimal effort.
I am an old school audio guy, and I have a nostalgia for 3-way closed box speakers such as AR 3a/303 and Cello Legend.

Parts: Designing and tuning enclosures and networks require extensive effort and time. So I chose to use off-the-shelf knock-down enclosure and 3-way network from Parts Express.
Also, to maintain the budget to minimal, I chose Dayton and Goldwood drivers, which are cheap but have fairly good acceptance from users.

Enclosure: 1.43 sq-ft knock-down birch
Crossover: 3 way, 800 Hz and 5kHz crossover
Tweeter: 1 1/8" Silk Dome
Mid-range: 2" Dome
Woofer: 10" woofer

Both tweeters and mids are sealed, so no separate chamber was required. They have about 3dB higher sensitivity than the woofers, so -3dB L-PAD was added using Dayton non-inducting resistors.

Cello Legend houses 12" woofers in larger enclosure, but 10" woofers are good for these 1.43 sq-ft enclosures.

To maintain the minimal level of budget and effort, I finished the enclosure with the deck stainer I had, with non-glossy lacquer. I stuffed the enclosure with Ikea cushion stuffings which I no longer use. I know I could have done better, but I try not to build a flawless set of speakers. It's too stressful to pursuit perfection.

Results: Mid and high units are great at this price. Very clean but not harsh at all. Dispersion from both domes is also quite good.
Low frequency could be better with bass-ref, but I wanted a closed box system. I already have Marchand's Parametric Equalizer Basis 8, so I could augment the bass a little bit to an acceptable level.

My overall satisfaction level is quite high compared to the budget and effort I spent.

One thing I don't understand is the sensitivity. My target sensitivity was about 86 dB/1W/1m, but actual sensitivity is at least 3 dB lower than Jordan JX92s 48" MLTL. Jordan does not have any crossover or whatsoever, so it must have sensitivity of the unit itself ~86 dB/W/m.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cello_Legend_Wannabe.jpg (70.7 KB, 109 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!