Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 12:30 PM   #341
stewin is offline stewin  Kenya
diyAudio Member

hi guys . just wondering , since paraline loading is very effecient in hf drivers.

>>>> can paraline loading be used in unity horn or synergy horn tweeters like in danleys gh60
Old 15th October 2012, 04:09 PM   #342
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewin View Post
hi guys . just wondering , since paraline loading is very effecient in hf drivers.

>>>> can paraline loading be used in unity horn or synergy horn tweeters like in danleys gh60
Paraline loading is no more efficient than a conical horn.

The purpose of a Paraline is to reduce vertical dispersion to only a few degrees without requiring a long throat, not what one normally wants in a Unity/Synergy horn.

Paralines are useful for combining HF driver output, a home use Unity/Synergy only needs one HF driver, a Paraline increases the build complexity, and makes the frequency response more ragged.
Old 15th October 2012, 04:44 PM   #343
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the root cause of the ragged FR?
Old 15th October 2012, 05:29 PM   #344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
What is the root cause of the ragged FR?
The ragged frequency response is probably the result of some sound reflecting back towards the throat at the three bends in the path, the 180 degree bend being more problematic than the two 90 degree bends.
The reflected sound waves cause some cancellation, resulting in narrow band dips.

The response looks worse on paper than it sounds, but there is no reason to use a Paraline throat adapter unless a very narrow vertical HF dispersion or multiple drivers on one horn is needed.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:20 PM   #345
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Narrow HF is the attraction.

Do the current implementations use abrupt square 180 directional changes or are they internally beveled at 45 degrees?
Old 16th October 2012, 05:15 AM   #346
stewin is offline stewin  Kenya
diyAudio Member

thanks welter i much appreciated reply.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:49 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Paraline loading is no more efficient than a conical horn.

The purpose of a Paraline is to reduce vertical dispersion to only a few degrees without requiring a long throat, not what one normally wants in a Unity/Synergy horn.

Paralines are useful for combining HF driver output, a home use Unity/Synergy only needs one HF driver, a Paraline increases the build complexity, and makes the frequency response more ragged.
I'll agree that a conical horn will generally be flatter. I do not agree that they have no place in the home. If anything, I think a Paraline is a much more attractive option for home use than a synergy or unity horn, because the depth is so shallow. For instance, it's possible to make a Paraline that plays down to 100hz that's only 1.25" deep. (As long as you're willing to live with a Paraline that is very wide and tall.)

Paralines seem like a no-brainer if you're running a flat screen TV and you want all the good things that a Unity horn offers.

Having said that, I *do* agree that a plain ol' Unity or Synergy horn will have flatter response and better polar response. But at the cost of a large and clunky enclosure.

In my living room, I could live with a 1.25" deep Paraline, but I couldn't live with a loudspeaker that looks like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Then again, I don't have as much space as I used to (downsized into a smaller home) and if I had space to burn, I might have a different opinion on Paralines.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:55 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
The ragged frequency response is probably the result of some sound reflecting back towards the throat at the three bends in the path, the 180 degree bend being more problematic than the two 90 degree bends.
The reflected sound waves cause some cancellation, resulting in narrow band dips.

The response looks worse on paper than it sounds, but there is no reason to use a Paraline throat adapter unless a very narrow vertical HF dispersion or multiple drivers on one horn is needed.
Hmmm, normally we agree, but I disagree with this.

Besides offering narrow dispersion, the Paraline is also insanely shallow. It's possibe to get the depth of the horn under 1"!

That's quite attractive in an age of flat screen TVs. It's also compelling for people with small homes, who can't justify organizing their entire living room around a set of speakers.

I'd say the #1 reason my Gedlee Summas are sitting in my garage is because they're too darn big. They sound great, but I don't want them dominating my whole living room.

Also, the Paraline has narrow dispersion in only one axis. This can be very nice if you build a big Paraline. For instance, it's possible to build a Paraline that has very narrow vertical directivity and very wide horizontal directivity. This is a really nice combination, similar to what the Keele CBT offers.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:23 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Besides offering narrow dispersion, the Paraline is also insanely shallow. It's possibe to get the depth of the horn under 1"!

Also, the Paraline has narrow dispersion in only one axis.

I'd say the #1 reason my Gedlee Summas are sitting in my garage is because they're too darn big.
Patrick,

A 1" deep Paraline would have no horizontal pattern control, it would be a diffraction device, a little better than using no horn at all perhaps, other than the narrow vertical dispersion at high frequencies would not correlate well to the ultra wide horizontal dispersion.

The narrow dispersion in only one axis is frequency dependent, not constant directivity.

A Paraline offering the same horizontal control as your Summa horns would be the same width and depth.

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 17th October 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:38 PM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
Narrow HF is the attraction.

Do the current implementations use abrupt square 180 directional changes or are they internally beveled at 45 degrees?
The entrance and exit are beveled at 45 degree (ideally a parabolic curved 45 degree), the "eye shaped" turn is 180 degree. I sanded off the "knife edge" in that turn in my Paralines, but it is still basically a square turn around through a 1/4" slot.

For really high SPL use, the shortness of the Paraline compared to other "plane wave" (narrow vertical response) radiators is a good feature, as it comparatively reduces throat distortion.

Distortion can be far more objectionable than ragged frequency response, but again, a conical horn will have less throat distortion than a Paraline.

Hide this!Advertise here!