2 Way Passive Crossover for PA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2012, 09:02 AM   #1
jaya000 is offline jaya000  India
diyAudio Member

Default 2 Way Passive Crossover for PA

Want to design passive crossover for PA 2 way speaker system.
I will measure the thiel small parameters of the 12" woofer. For Compression Driver, thinking of testing it with horn for thiel-small parameters. Then to use xover pro( bass box pro) to design the passive crossover.

want to design based on actual driver parameters instead of text book crossover. is this ok? or any other method will be better.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

it won't be easy. The 12" has an increasing Impedance curve. It is not a simple 8 ohm resistor. And you are probably going to have to really pad down the compression driver.

I'd use a 24db Linkwitz Riley active crossover.

Even then, you are going to need a bunch of hf boost to get high end out of the compression driver, unless you are using a horn with a very narrow dispersion, and if you do that narrow dispersion horn, you will not have highs off to the sides.

The only tip I can give you is to cross at 1,200hz.

Norman
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Norman,,
The 12" speaker is having linear frequency response upto 4 khz. I checked this with LMS. It has copper cap inside. So i was thinking just to crossover above 3 khz.

Last edited by jaya000; 3rd August 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 4th August 2012, 12:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, a 12" loses directivity above 1.2khz, however, that doesn't stop manufacturers from crossing above that. And by crossing above 1,200hz, it allows more power to go to the compression driver without blowing.

Hey, it's your ears, you may like crossing that high depending on preferences and goals.

Norman
Old 5th August 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
Well, a 12" loses directivity above 1.2khz, however, that doesn't stop manufacturers from crossing above that. And by crossing above 1,200hz, it allows more power to go to the compression driver without blowing.

Norman
Nice explanation. If i crossover at 1200 hz, i need to use 2" CD for it. right?
But people say it blows quickly.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

BMS make four 1" compression drivers (2 neos & 2 ferrites) with 1.75" voice coils which are ok to use down to 1200Hz.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:12 AM   #7
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

A typical 12" woofer has about 60 dispersion at 1.6Khz, that is what I would use for PA.

The JBL 4425 studio monitor crosses over at 1.2Khz to a 100 x 100 horn, the 12" woofer is about 100 at 950hz.

It will sound the best to match the pattern on the horn (and Di figure) with the pattern on the woofer (and Di figure) at the crossover point.

What pattern were you considering for the horn?

An interesting horn for PA use might be the P-Audio PH-180

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/pdfs/PH-180.pdf

It has 100H below its center axis, and 50H above its center axis, the total vertical dispersion is 60V. With the speaker cabinet mounted on a stand it has wide coverage for those up close and narrower coverage for the back of the room, ideal for a typical rectangular room. It would work well crossed at 1.6Khz (I own a pair of these horns, less than $10 from Parts Express as #292-2576).

Hide this!Advertise here!