Cornscala/Bob Crites/Style C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put pics to the thread start... either they are in progress or went down the drain...
here

Attachments

• DSC09990.JPG
    DSC09990.JPG
    538.8 KB · Views: 445
Pine isn't the best wood for speaker boxes, I've seen pine furniture rip itself apart due to humidity and temperature changes, making the wood expand and contract.
Also those wooden slats while providing protection will mess up the frequency response with all that refraction going on.

hm. 500Hz is what, a 2' wavelength? A 1" boundary is pretty small. I'd not worry overmuch about it- I'd think of it as more of a high-frequency diffusor, which will only come into play meaningfully with stop-band artifacts.

I'm sure it'd be audible listening to just the woofer, but not necessarily audible in a negative sense.

I agree with the concerns about the use of pine, nevertheless, it's a nice looking build- very attractive.

Pine isn't the best wood for speaker boxes, I've seen pine furniture rip itself apart due to humidity and temperature changes, making the wood expand and contract.
Also those wooden slats while providing protection will mess up the frequency response with all that refraction going on.

Take it easy! That sounds like pieces of wood flxing all around!
I worked a long time as a carpenter and wood is such a magnificent material, you can glue it together again!
And I am not living in the jungle or sub tropical area...
The box is glued so good you could probable use as a boat and it wouldn't crack...hahaha
I made many experiments with those wooden slats my friend...maybe a dog could hear a difference...hahaha:drink:

It doesn't take much difference in humidity or temperature to cause pine to contract or expand. I live the southern USA and have seen tables split right in two with the grain running in opposite directions and not allowing the pieces to "float".
Also pine isn't very good for speaker cabinets. If it was more manufacturers would be using it.
You made many experiments with the slats? Then I guess you have before and after measurements showing how they don't cause any changes in the frequency response. Care to share? How could a dog hear any difference if the woofer is rolling off at 500 Hz? Seems like an odd thing to say.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.