Small Outdoor Speaker Project - A few questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small Outdoor Speaker Project - A few questions

I am somewhat of a nooby (This is my 4th set of speakers) with a couple of questions with my latest project. It is for small outdoor parties. I am using a couple of closeout drivers - Aurasound NS-6 (2 of them) and a single Foster horn tweeter. I can find the box size fairly easily using existing sites on the internet but how is the box (and port) size affected by adding the 2nd NSB-6?
Since I do not have the skillset or equipment to measure, I purchased the Behringer DCX 2496 to aid with crossover selection. Initially, I chose 4K as the crossover point and when I muted the LF/HF drivers independently and checked the DB level for the drivers, the HF drivers were significantly down (more than 15 DBs). I played around with various crossovers until the HF and LF drivers were close to matching in DB output (3k). Is this a legitimate concern and something that needs to be addressed?
Old 30th July 2012, 07:40 PM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Adding the second driver doubles box size. Download WinIsl or similar programs and it will show you all about it. It lets you add a second driver. (free)

The crossover does both functions, filter and level adjust. That is normal. Tweeters are far more efficient than most woofers, 6 to 8 dB is not uncommon, and then adding for baffel step, another 6 dB so your ears may be telling you the right things. Check the specs on the drivers and see the difference.

Measurement is not that expensive. Calibrated mic ($80), USB mic preamp ($70), ARTA (free), and my favorite WooferTester ($100) Learning to use them does take a lot of effort. You have already done what too many skip. Trust your ears. Measurements are an AID, not the answer.

Now my standard soapbox: Read Joe D'Appolito's book Measuring Loudspeakers If you don't understand what you are measuring, all the computer stuff won't get you consistent results.

Hide this!Advertise here!