CNC Horn JBL-2397 or TAD-4001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've come across a few versions of CNC JBL-2397 and a few TAD-4001s. I'd like to try either or both.

In contacting the folks that made these, no one is willing to share their files. I just gained access to CNC equipment and I'm eager to CNC some of these. I'm not great with software design, does anyone have files for these horns?

Thanks

I've come across a few versions of CNC JBL-2397 and a few TAD-4001s. I'd like to try either or both.

In contacting the folks that made these, no one is willing to share their files. I just gained access to CNC equipment and I'm eager to CNC some of these. I'm not great with software design, does anyone have files for these horns?

Thanks

The TH4003 might be easier to manufacture. The TH4001 has internal vanes to help horizontal dispersion, whereas the TH4003 achieves good horizontal dispersion without vanes, using the shape of the top and bottom surfaces "bowing in" past the throat, similar to the Altec 511/811. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
DIY

Thanks

Do you have this or equivalent software?
Modeling tools for designers
If so, you can do your own horn design that is ready for CNC prototyping.
Regards,
WHG

Rhino Tutorial

http://www.lynda.com/Rhino-4-tutori...using +rhino&gclid=CMvCqbnixrECFU2htgodz0IAHA

Last edited:
I'd learn to use the software. A cnc is basically useless unless you can create computer models of the parts you want to make. As you're finding people are usually not in a big hurry to give away their models. Then you need to learn to use a cam program as well to create g-code to run on the machine.

As far as horns, I would suggest you try a LeCleac'h horn or an OS waveguide. Either of those will likely sound better than the old style horns you mention in your first post. There are free resources available via searching this site to plot both of these horn shapes.

An Alternative

Here is a horn design [1] that may be of interest to you. In any event the article represents a worthwhile read. I have included contact information for one of the authors [2] should you choose to pursue this design further.
Regards,
WHG
[1] An Efficient Loudspeaker Horn Designed by Numerical Optimization: An Experimental Study
http://www8.cs.umu.se/~martinb/downloads/Papers/NoUdSeWaBe10.pdf
[2] Martin Berggren
Martin Berggren

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.