Replacing a crossover capacitor? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Replacing a crossover capacitor?

Hey everyone, Basically I have got a set of Sony XB8AV speakers. They are brilliant speakers but recently they have developed some interference sound. It comes from the tweeters whenever there is a bass note or a low rumble sound from the bass speakers. My thought is that the crossover capacitor with the age that it is has started to allow some lower frequency through to the tiny speakers at the top.

I have had a look at the markings on the side of the capacitor after a lot of taking apart and found that it says,

50v 1u5 (which I have heard could mean 50v 1.5uf) Not really sure about that?

If I was to replace the capacitor what part would I need to buy? Where would be best to get it and what brand would you recommend? I really want to get these speakers working again as they are great loud quality speakers and I really like them.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanking in advance, Jack Taylor
Old 29th July 2012, 04:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

These must be non-polarised types.

You could use any Polypropolylene or Polycarbonate 1.5uF cap as long as it is greater than 50V (100V is common enough). As a poly cap. would be slightly different to the elctrolytic you would be better keeping both speakers the same.
Old 29th July 2012, 04:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is there any prefered type? Like which one would give a clearer quality sound? I am going to have a look around on the internet to fine one now and see what i can find.

Thanks for the advice
Old 29th July 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Kei is offline Kei  Wales
diyAudio Member

Something like a solen MKP polypropylene will do the job, but as said above make sure you do both speakers as you want them to match. You could go with claritycap ESA's if you want as they are cheap in this value but personally i couldn't hear a difference between them so i stick with the cheaper parts.
Old 29th July 2012, 08:04 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Hi, I'd suspect some form of mechanical issue, but try the caps, rgds, sreten.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys and nice one for getting a good photo up on the thread. I think they are a fairly good set but I am no audiophile tbh lol. Just found them cheap on eBay and for about a year they have sounded lovely. Might have given them a bit of a thrashing recently but withing 2 days after that they still sounded good. Just recently they went odd under normal usage.
Old 30th July 2012, 12:08 AM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor2005 View Post
...It comes from the tweeters whenever there is a bass note or a low rumble sound from the bass speakers. My thought is that the crossover capacitor with the age that it is has started to allow some lower frequency through to the tiny speakers at the top.

I have had a look at the markings on the side of the capacitor after a lot of taking apart and found that it says,

50v 1u5 (which I have heard could mean 50v 1.5uf) Not really sure about that?

If I was to replace the capacitor what part would I need to buy? Where would be best to get it and what brand would you recommend? I really want to get these speakers working again as they are great loud quality speakers and I really like them.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanking in advance, Jack Taylor
I'd guess the problem is actually a loose connection to the bass unit, producing crackle through the tweeters when it gets intermittent and produces back EMF.

Jeez, don't you guys make hard work of capacitors sometimes?

Simple cheapie 1,5uF Non-Polar electrolytic is what is required here, though I doubt it's the problem:
Alcap 1.50uF 50V DC Low Loss Electrolytic Capacitor non-polarised series from Falcon Acoustics, The Leading Supplier of DIY Hifi Components.
Old 30th July 2012, 05:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

See I didn't know where to get caps from at all lol :S but yeah I will have a look but they seem alright, And the spades on the back of each speaker are all very tight and wont just pull off tbh :/

Is there much chance the actual tweeters are damaged?
Old 30th July 2012, 05:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor2005 View Post
Is there any prefered type? Like which one would give a clearer quality sound? I am going to have a look around on the internet to fine one now and see what i can find.

Thanks for the advice

You don't need anything exotic in Main Stream speakers.
Old 30th July 2012, 05:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Haha okie dokie lol I just thought if there was say a 1-2 difference from an alright capacitor to a better quality one that would just either last longer make a slightly clearer sound then I may as well get it

Hide this!Advertise here!