diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Replacing a crossover capacitor? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/216986-replacing-crossover-capacitor.html)

jtaylor2005 29th July 2012 03:24 PM

Replacing a crossover capacitor?

Hey everyone, Basically I have got a set of Sony XB8AV speakers. They are brilliant speakers but recently they have developed some interference sound. It comes from the tweeters whenever there is a bass note or a low rumble sound from the bass speakers. My thought is that the crossover capacitor with the age that it is has started to allow some lower frequency through to the tiny speakers at the top.

I have had a look at the markings on the side of the capacitor after a lot of taking apart and found that it says,

50v 1u5 (which I have heard could mean 50v 1.5uf) Not really sure about that?

If I was to replace the capacitor what part would I need to buy? Where would be best to get it and what brand would you recommend? I really want to get these speakers working again as they are great loud quality speakers and I really like them.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanking in advance, Jack Taylor

KatieandDad 29th July 2012 03:39 PM

These must be non-polarised types.

You could use any Polypropolylene or Polycarbonate 1.5uF cap as long as it is greater than 50V (100V is common enough). As a poly cap. would be slightly different to the elctrolytic you would be better keeping both speakers the same.

jtaylor2005 29th July 2012 03:41 PM

Is there any prefered type? Like which one would give a clearer quality sound? I am going to have a look around on the internet to fine one now and see what i can find.

Thanks for the advice :)

Kei 29th July 2012 06:02 PM

Something like a solen MKP polypropylene will do the job, but as said above make sure you do both speakers as you want them to match. You could go with claritycap ESA's if you want as they are cheap in this value but personally i couldn't hear a difference between them so i stick with the cheaper parts.

sreten 29th July 2012 07:04 PM

http://images03.olx.ru/ui/9/68/23/12...1291060153.jpg

Hi, I'd suspect some form of mechanical issue, but try the caps, rgds, sreten.

jtaylor2005 29th July 2012 09:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys :) and nice one for getting a good photo up on the thread. I think they are a fairly good set but I am no audiophile tbh lol. Just found them cheap on eBay and for about a year they have sounded lovely. Might have given them a bit of a thrashing recently but withing 2 days after that they still sounded good. Just recently they went odd under normal usage.

system7 29th July 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaylor2005 (Post 3108296)
...It comes from the tweeters whenever there is a bass note or a low rumble sound from the bass speakers. My thought is that the crossover capacitor with the age that it is has started to allow some lower frequency through to the tiny speakers at the top.

I have had a look at the markings on the side of the capacitor after a lot of taking apart and found that it says,

50v 1u5 (which I have heard could mean 50v 1.5uf) Not really sure about that?

If I was to replace the capacitor what part would I need to buy? Where would be best to get it and what brand would you recommend? I really want to get these speakers working again as they are great loud quality speakers and I really like them.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanking in advance, Jack Taylor

I'd guess the problem is actually a loose connection to the bass unit, producing crackle through the tweeters when it gets intermittent and produces back EMF.

Jeez, don't you guys make hard work of capacitors sometimes? :D

Simple cheapie 1,5uF Non-Polar electrolytic is what is required here, though I doubt it's the problem:
Alcap 1.50uF 50V DC Low Loss Electrolytic Capacitor non-polarised series from Falcon Acoustics, The Leading Supplier of DIY Hifi Components.

jtaylor2005 30th July 2012 04:13 PM

See I didn't know where to get caps from at all lol :S but yeah I will have a look but they seem alright, And the spades on the back of each speaker are all very tight and wont just pull off tbh :/

Is there much chance the actual tweeters are damaged?

KatieandDad 30th July 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaylor2005 (Post 3108318)
Is there any prefered type? Like which one would give a clearer quality sound? I am going to have a look around on the internet to fine one now and see what i can find.

Thanks for the advice :)

You don't need anything exotic in Main Stream speakers.

jtaylor2005 30th July 2012 04:54 PM

Haha okie dokie :) lol I just thought if there was say a 1-2 difference from an alright capacitor to a better quality one that would just either last longer make a slightly clearer sound then I may as well get it :)