Replacing a crossover capacitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, Basically I have got a set of Sony XB8AV speakers. They are brilliant speakers but recently they have developed some interference sound. It comes from the tweeters whenever there is a bass note or a low rumble sound from the bass speakers. My thought is that the crossover capacitor with the age that it is has started to allow some lower frequency through to the tiny speakers at the top.

I have had a look at the markings on the side of the capacitor after a lot of taking apart and found that it says,

50v 1u5 (which I have heard could mean 50v 1.5uf) Not really sure about that?

If I was to replace the capacitor what part would I need to buy? Where would be best to get it and what brand would you recommend? I really want to get these speakers working again as they are great loud quality speakers and I really like them.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanking in advance, Jack Taylor

These must be non-polarised types.

You could use any Polypropolylene or Polycarbonate 1.5uF cap as long as it is greater than 50V (100V is common enough). As a poly cap. would be slightly different to the elctrolytic you would be better keeping both speakers the same.

Thanks for the help guys :) and nice one for getting a good photo up on the thread. I think they are a fairly good set but I am no audiophile tbh lol. Just found them cheap on eBay and for about a year they have sounded lovely. Might have given them a bit of a thrashing recently but withing 2 days after that they still sounded good. Just recently they went odd under normal usage.

...It comes from the tweeters whenever there is a bass note or a low rumble sound from the bass speakers. My thought is that the crossover capacitor with the age that it is has started to allow some lower frequency through to the tiny speakers at the top.

I have had a look at the markings on the side of the capacitor after a lot of taking apart and found that it says,

50v 1u5 (which I have heard could mean 50v 1.5uf) Not really sure about that?

If I was to replace the capacitor what part would I need to buy? Where would be best to get it and what brand would you recommend? I really want to get these speakers working again as they are great loud quality speakers and I really like them.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanking in advance, Jack Taylor
I'd guess the problem is actually a loose connection to the bass unit, producing crackle through the tweeters when it gets intermittent and produces back EMF.

Jeez, don't you guys make hard work of capacitors sometimes? :D

Simple cheapie 1,5uF Non-Polar electrolytic is what is required here, though I doubt it's the problem:
Alcap 1.50uF 50V DC Low Loss Electrolytic Capacitor non-polarised series from Falcon Acoustics, The Leading Supplier of DIY Hifi Components.

as others have said, a 100 Volt rated NON polarised electrolytic would be fine, there is a small benefit from using a polyester film or polypropylene capacitor, and at the small value of 1.5uF either could be had very cheaply. If you dont wish to take the other speaker apart, then an non polarised electrolytic will probably be the best option. Realistically, you could replace Both with a PE or PP film very cheaply. CPC, farnell, RS, Maplin will stock either. Paying a bit more at a local maplin or RS outlet might be worth it-no shipping fee for what would be a jiffy bag parcel of 1 or 2 pieces. Maybe 3 or 4 quid, max cost.

Haha okie dokie :) lol I just thought if there was say a £1-2 difference from an alright capacitor to a better quality one that would just either last longer make a slightly clearer sound then I may as well get it :)

There is a way of saving a few pence.

Just buy two 3.3uF normal caps and connect them back to back (ie the two positives together) then connect the two outer leads (negatives) to the terminals. (Or the other way it makes no difference as long as they are back to back)

You can buy 3.3uF 100V caps from anywhere, Maplin used to do them.

Don't worry about the tolerance. Electrolytics have appaulling tolerances anyway. +100 -50% is quite normal.

Personally I would look for Polypropylene (MKP) or Polystyrene (MKS) just to suit the space that is being vacated by the electro's that are being replaced. Bear in mind the MKPs and MKSs don't have very long leads (8mm ish).

Last edited:
See I didn't know where to get caps from at all lol :S but yeah I will have a look but they seem alright, And the spades on the back of each speaker are all very tight and wont just pull off tbh :/

Is there much chance the actual tweeters are damaged?

You can test the drivers individually.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT each driver from frequencies that it is not intended to voice.

If you use the original crossover, just remove the other drivers by disconnecting them. Use only low volume, it won't sound nice but you can listen to see if you get a crackle.

Okay guys cheers for the help :) I can take them apart fairly easily tbh lol it was about 6 screws to get down into them. As for the capacitor I will probably go for a Polypropylene.

Would this be a good option then?
Solen 1.50uF 630V DC FastCap Polypropylene Audio Capacitor from Falcon Acoustics, the leading supplier of diy hifi components.

How could I extend the wires on the end of them to reach where they do currently? If I get them I am going to go for the 2% tolerance ones as well I think :)

I've always had pretty good luck with Solen caps, those should work fine. As for the wires, you should be able to nip them right near where they go into the existing cap and solder them onto the new one.

lol i did point that out jtaylor... For such items, small weight then its better to avoid falcon and wilmslow. There MUST be a local RS or Maplin near you, and im confident that the total cost will be ALOT less than your postage charge! FWIW maplin 650V PP caps, the yellow wound ones, are more than adequate. But what do i know?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.