Replacing a crossover capacitor? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2012, 09:44 PM   #31
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, most poly caps are available in a range. The solens for example come in 200v - 630?v varieties. They make them like that because they're used in a wide range of applications from the speakers in your room to protection caps for flown speaker arrays in movie theaters and pro sound reinforcement, as well as inside sometimes high voltage electronics, like tube gear.

As a series cap for a tweeter in a small speaker used with a 5-10 watt rack system, you'd be in great shape with one of the 200v Solen caps.

As for it being connected to the second driver as well, that's entirely possible. The aim for most of those types of speakers is to be produced as inexpensively as possible, so say a tweeter and a super tweeter sharing a single capacitor isn't that far fetched.

And hey, you can tell people that you put a capacitor on the tweeter that cost more than the manufacturer spent on the woofer driver
Old 31st July 2012, 09:50 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Haha yeah lol i bet they dont cost much to make :S and what about actually doing a cap for each of the 2 speakers up top? or would that be wayyy beyond the effort it is worth lol?
Old 31st July 2012, 09:52 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor2005 View Post
Haha yeah lol i bet they dont cost much to make :S and what about actually doing a cap for each of the 2 speakers up top? or would that be wayyy beyond the effort it is worth lol?
Way beyond. And you'd change the impedance of the load and the crossover point.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:55 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

ahhh okay lol fair enough. U see this is the sort of thing that I wanna learn about lol
Old 31st July 2012, 10:02 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ahhh okay lol fair enough. U see this is the sort of thing that I wanna learn about lol
A lot of the basics are fairly easy to understand once you're into it for a while. There's lots of great things to read, though.

At the top of this forum, there's a thread titled "Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement" which is a great read.

Two more of my favorites are:

Paul Carmody's FAQ

and

What Troels Gravesen has to say about crossovers.

You could seriously get lost in it for weeks and come out the other end wanting to build a great set of speakers, only to find yourself addicted with a room full of them and no spouse
Old 31st July 2012, 10:03 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hahaha oh dear lol. well to be honest it does sound like something I would want to have a go at lol. Just to see if I can do it lol
Old 31st July 2012, 10:10 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hahaha oh dear lol. well to be honest it does sound like something I would want to have a go at lol. Just to see if I can do it lol
I'd say go for it, you can usually get inexpensive drivers and crossover parts for less than a couple hundred quid and have a go at it.

Once you've read and have a general understanding of the basics, get something like speaker workshop and go to work.

Hide this!Advertise here!