center channel crossover point? full range perhaps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I had been planning a home sub project but that has been put on the backburner while my wife decides if she wants new furniture and a different living room set up(which will most likely take several months)
SOOOO, I' just build a center channel. I just built the tri trix vented a month or so ago and am very happy with the results. I have found a few pages covering a center channel build. my two questions are
crossover point?? I've seen 3600Hz and 2500Hz, not sure how to determine what I would do on whatever speakers I buy.

Anyone ever just use a couple good full range speakers for a center channel?

I guess I could just build a tri trix sealed and it would match nicely, I don't know
Any advice?
music/movies

One More

Hello, I had been planning a home sub project but that has been put on the backburner while my wife decides if she wants new furniture and a different living room set up(which will most likely take several months)
SOOOO, I' just build a center channel. I just built the tri trix vented a month or so ago and am very happy with the results. I have found a few pages covering a center channel build. my two questions are
crossover point?? I've seen 3600Hz and 2500Hz, not sure how to determine what I would do on whatever speakers I buy.

Anyone ever just use a couple good full range speakers for a center channel?

I guess I could just build a tri trix sealed and it would match nicely, I don't know
Any advice?
music/movies

There should be no difference between right, left, and center loudspeakers. Otherwise pans from stage left to right and right to left will sound unnatural as they pass through stage center. The TriTrix is a two-way design. Just build another one for the center channel. The crossover frequency will remain the same.

Regards,

WHG

Thanx, that makes sense. I will probably go ahead then. I think I may just order another tri trix component kit. I am thinking that I may go ahead and order another one of the tweeters as well and then make a MT tritrix for use as rear channel speakers. Assuming that the crossover would be ok. The cost of ordering the components for a single tri trix is about $100, so I might as well get the pair for another $40.

The tritrix has the two woofers wired in series, so remember the crossover values are going to change, roughly double the capacitance and half the inductance if you use only one woofer. There will also be a small inductance change for the drivers themselves, so you might want to also subtract the Le of one woofer coil to find the right size xo inductor.

Hi,

You can't use the MTM x/o for a MT version for the rears.

rgds, sreten.

The crossover looks fairly simple, which is why I recommended:

The tritrix has the two woofers wired in series, so remember the crossover values are going to change, roughly double the capacitance and half the inductance if you use only one woofer. There will also be a small inductance change for the drivers themselves, so you might want to also subtract the Le of one woofer coil to find the right size xo inductor.

Is there something I'm being dense about here, sreten? I defer to your experience here.

The crossover part of the idea will need to be worked out then. When I started the diy speaker project I only thought that the 2 mains would work, but I am hooked and think it would be nice to have the 5.1......I will then have a completed system while I plan the next build.
Could I simply use the crossover layout from curt c's website for his tri trix MT design?

I've just now started learning about the complexity of crossovers so I would feel best about using an existing design.

This is very wise. There's nothing wrong with having a couple of sets of speakers so that you can do your own experimentation but if you're only going to make one set and that's what you have to live with, better to do something that already has the engineering done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.