ER18DXT DIY Speaker Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any advice on this build?

The Seas ER18DXT ported two way

I am looking for the best possible sounding monitor speaker under $1K. This is my first DIY attempt. I will be using a subwoofer and crossing over at 80hz. These were recommended to me over on AVS. I thought I might get someone elses opinion. I have all the details for this build lined up, but I wanted to ask one more time in case there was a build that may be better that I might be missing.
I'm not going to use the parts express cabinet as I don't really care for the finish. It looks kind of cheap to me. I will building a replica out of MDF and veneering it in rosewood and staining it in a darker red. Similar to the paradigm rosewood speakers.

Check this thread (& several others) with info on a variant:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/213397-zaph-audio-za-sr71-review.html
It'll make an excellent pair of monitors, the only change I'd make for extended lows is to increase the box size to ~24L, and adjust the tuning to suit

I've looked into the SR71 and everything I've read states the ER18DXT design is superior. I think I even read somewhere that one of the designers of the SR71's has even given the nod to Mark K's build. Thanks for your input though.

These all look like tower builds to me. I need a monitor build. Do you have any experience with the Mark K design that you know these others will be better. I haven't found a lot on it. But the little I have found says it is the "King" of the under $1K monitor speaker. But I'm always open to other suggestions. Especially from people who have first hand experience. It must be a monitor design though.

I would build Curt Campbell's Invictus (parts available at meniscus audio)

Really high end drivers (scanspeak revelator and CSS LD25X) and smooth polars:

CSS_SS_HCurveFamily0to90deg5dBdiv0428122-984x410.jpg

These all look like tower builds to me. I need a monitor build. Do you have any experience with the Mark K design that you know these others will be better. I haven't found a lot on it. But the little I have found says it is the "King" of the under $1K monitor speaker. But I'm always open to other suggestions. Especially from people who have first hand experience. It must be a monitor design though.

Don't worry about the form... you can do a monitor, cut the tower, keep the width and the driver position. (18L volume for a monitor)
Look this construction about the CNO : CNO-Christoffer
or this one ZRT variant http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT-2way-sealed.pdf

I don't know the sound of this Mark K speaker but the ER18RNX sound yes !
I owned four ER18 and have two W18. The W18 sounds far better...
The ER18 has a fantastic bass, mldbass but the upper mid and treble is too bright. For the price the ER18 is a good driver. Here we talk about speaker under 1k$, not 500$ !
A challenger of the ER18 should be the peerless 830875 in the same price range
Veeper TM Monitor

It is just a point of view and i'm sure with a W18 or a 18W... (SEAS or SS) you will have the best sound for the money (and will not be disappointed).

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.