Different Speaker Quality? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2003, 02:34 AM   #1
panzk is offline panzk  China
diyAudio Member

Default Different Speaker Quality?

Hello all!

I have heard of the fact (or hearsay) that the speaker units we can buy in retail are quite different from those used on the Loudspeaker products, even if they are the same model, same type!

Does anybody know anything, or have any experience about it? Please tell me!

Thanks!!!
Old 22nd October 2003, 09:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Who can help me!

Please!
Old 22nd October 2003, 01:40 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

To be honest, the speaker drivers you buy at retail can be different if they come from different batches- the consistency of off-the-shelf drivers is notoriously poor. They most likely will not resemble what's given on the data sheets, either.

OEMs will typically purchase larger quantities from the same batch and have certain contracted-for QC requirements. Unlike home constructors, they can't tailor their crossovers and boxes to the peculiarities of specific drivers or batches of drivers. And, of course, OEMs can get custom or modified drivers that are generally unavailable to the hobbyist. For example, I'd sure like to buy a pile of the NHT Zero woofers (made for them by Tonegen), but it just can't be done.
Old 23rd October 2003, 01:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Thank SY for your information!

I want to buy a pair of scanspeak 9700 tweeters to replace those on my speaker but I just worried about the quality! As you say, I don't need to be afraid of the quality failure and there may only be some quality difference at most.
Old 23rd October 2003, 03:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Thank SY for your information!

Quote:
Originally posted by panzk
I want to buy a pair of scanspeak 9700 tweeters to replace those on my speaker but I just worried about the quality! As you say, I don't need to be afraid of the quality failure and there may only be some quality difference at most.
Yes you are right

Some variance in the measured parameters can occur, but the buildquality is the same.

Hide this!Advertise here!