Modifying a 3-way crossover into a single 1/4" input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am attempting to modify an existing crossover in an EAW KF-600i cabinet. This has a woofer, mid, and tweeter, and the input plate only has 3 separate connections for each respective input-

My goal is to basically get these 3 inputs into a single 1/4" standard jack input- Is this possible? I would imagine I may be able to use the existing crossover to split the frequencies after the 1/4" jack, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this without damaging the drivers and keeping proper impedance. I have quite a many years as an amp repair tech and other various electronics, but will admit that my knowledge of theory is somewhat limited (ratio of fix-what-is-wrong to modify-circuitry is about 1000 to 1).

The ultimate goal for this customer is for his signal to be fed through a crossover unit, into two power amps, and then to drive 2 of these EAW's as a mid-high range, as well as 2 more subwoofer cabinets. He is aware that this may not be entirely practical to do with this equipment, but I am willing to at least investigate the possibility.

It sounds as though it's set up with 3x 1/4" jacks to be tri-wired? You should be able to parallel them together and use a single jack relatively easily. Just jump all the inputs together. You shouldn't need to change any circuitry.

The literature for the speaker says that it's designed to be tri-amped though. I'd probably call them up and ask them.

Edit: Is this what you have? (pic)

Attachments

• eaw-kf600i-349807.jpg
    eaw-kf600i-349807.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The link is for the correct one. The backplate on this one is roughly the same as your pic, although it has three separate regular screw terminal inputs in place of those Hammond-ish 7-pin jacks (they are shorted directly to the banana plug inputs shown in that pic). So from there, in terms of this crossover, the mids and highs split into the crossover, and the low goes directly to the subwoofer.

With that in mind, I can't see how just summing the inputs would give me the proper impedance for the audio mains. It's worth a try, but I had figured on calling EAW anyway just to see what they would say.

Here's a clearer description of the audio chain that is desired:
audio(line) --> crossover --> sub split ->power amp --> 2 sub cabs
--> mid/high split->power amp --> 2 EAW cabs

So even if my single cab impedance is off, perhaps when the get chained together I can wire them to work in unison? Just tossin' out ideas, I appreciate any input!

Hi,

The EAW KF600i has no internal crossover. Its designed to be tri-amped
with an external EAW active x/o EQ that also provides the signal for an
optional additional subwoofer.

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/KF_Series/KF600i.pdf

rgds, sreten.

Aha, so, if you were going to use one amplifier for the whole cab, you'd have to design a crossover for it, something that would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and use the electronic crossover and amplifiers that it's supposed to have. You could probably get some decent amps that wouldn't be too expensive anyway, like maybe Behringer EP4000 / 2000.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.