Audio Technology, Hiquphon OW2 speaker design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
joefish is offline joefish  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Technology, Hiquphon OW2 speaker design

Hi All,

I have a pair of Audio Technology 15 H 52 15 06 SDK and Hiquphon OW2 and am planning to build a reasonably sensitive compact two way with them.

Here is my design on paper - I would really appreciate any constructive comments on how I could do thing's better

Audio Technology -15 H 52 15 96 SDK
similar to (but not that similar) curve here:Midrange
Fs 45 Hz
Vas 18 Liter
Qms 5,03
Qes 0,25
Qts 0,24
BL 7,64
Cms 1,3951
SPL 90 dB
dc 5.9

Hiquphon OW2
curve and specs: Hiquphon OWII (OW2) dome tweeter, technical data

Crossover
3500hz - Second-Order Linkwitz-Riley Filter

tweeter 8 ohm
series capacitor = 2.843uf
parallel inductor = 0.728mh

Midwoofer 8 ohm
series inductor = 0.728mh
parallel capacitor = 2.843uf

Cabinet
veneered 18mm Birch ply

inside dimensions:
Width 216mm
height 349mm
depth 133mm
volume 10 liters

port
diameter: 30mm
length 50mm

not sure which way to point the port yet was thinking about out the side away from each other

Last edited by joefish; 20th July 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

First of all I've extensive experience with all kind of AT drivers including the driver you've got. To start with the bad news, the drivers with kapton voicecoil former are not as good in a 2way midbass application as their counterparts with an alu voicecoil former. However, in a dedicated mid application in a 3way design they shine.

Your enclosure volume sounds a bit on the small side, anything between 13 and 15 liters with a minimum port with 50 mm internal diameter and 150 mm length will do fine. Please note this is a NET volume figure, i.e. you have to add volume for bracing, additional wall treatments and the driver. Given the big physical size of the magnet you should not neglect this.

Even this smallish enclosure benefit from some bracing. The baffle thickness is too thin for an AT driver. The basket is already 6 mm in thickness. That only leaves you 12 mm. I would recommend to double up the baflle thickness to 36 mm and add some bracing. Front - back and side - side.

You can use this driver crossed rather high (say 3500 Hz), but not with a textbook cross-over filter. A properly designed 2nd order electrical network will give you something approaching a 4th order acoustical one (using the raw data of your driver in your cabinet). This, however, requires measurements of the drivers. Also, I like to put a notch on the cone resonance frequency. This P/P driver is very stiff for its kind and typically produces a benign resonance, around 4.8 kHz or so, which if tamed with a series LCR parallel to the driver leads to very nice roll-of in conjunction with a series L.

I don't have direct experience with the OW2, but it seems to behave like the Scanspeak 2010 19 mm dome. That one is easy to deal with, almost textbook. I say almost, because your values will not cut it.

Please invest in some effort to design a proper cross-over from real measurement data. Otherwise your ~1000 euro investment will turn into ~1000 euro misery.

edit: I would advice you to put the port on the back, and try to make a narrow,but deep cabinet to accomadate the port and have an elegant looking speaker. Don't forget to round of the edges of the cabinet and proper flush mount the drivers. And even with this high sensitivity driver (for a 13 cm hifi driver), you end up with a system sensitivity of about 86 dB/w/m. You cannot ignore baffle step. You need to reduce the level of mid and high frequencies to get a balanced output. Especially, with the kapton former driver you otherwise could over drive the speaker by adding more power to make up for lost bass.

Good Luck!

Last edited by LaMa; 20th July 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 21st July 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
joefish is offline joefish  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lots of food for thought there LaMa,

I have taken onboard your teachings on the cabinet and crossover especially the part about tailoring the crossover once the drivers are in situ.

I wanted to use the kapton variant of the AT driver to give sweeter mids and understand it leads to some bass compromise, however, attenuating the tweeter down to 86db moves the project away from my original efficiency goals and would compromises the design too much.
I would like the drivers to run as close to their native SPL as possible.

Perhaps I should look into creating a 3 way floorstander, I may have access to another pair of AT drivers of the same size with a longer throwallegedly constructed for bass use with a low natural roll off- I am open to suggestions on bass drivers although bare in mind I dont want the cabinet to become too large and am trying to keep the crossover as simple as possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!