2way infinity rs2 speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
msj965 is offline msj965  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2way infinity rs2 speaker

Hello

Just bought a pair of Infinity rs2 speaker for $10 bucks.is there any improvement I need to do for this speakers.Oh by the way this speaker is from a garage sale coz the owner of the house is moving away.

Thanks and more power to all!
Old 20th July 2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Einric is online now Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

With any of my BARGAIN finds I will always crack them open and replace the electrolytic capacitors on the tweeter with a good poly.

Otherwise I may look into replacing the inductor on the woofer with a higher quality one, depending on the heft of the original one.

I picked up a pair of Polk R15's at the pawn shop for $25 and I replaced the cap on the tweeter only, It really transformed them with just parts from my bins.
Old 21st July 2012, 06:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm planning to change the two electrolytic caps,one 2uf/50v and 8uf/50 to a poly.
is there any problem if I put higher voltage like 2uf/250Volts metallized poly?
Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Einric is online now Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Nope, Go for it.
I have used 250-600V poly caps.

Some people believe that the higher voltage ones are better but I have never found any proof of this.
Old 24th July 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi,

If you really think that you need to improve your speaker(and also more power), then i will suggest to go for active crossover system rather than spend on passive crossover which involves inductors, capacitors and resistors. These components can introduce losses which means that power loss inside the passive crossover. For example when you need to pad the level for each speaker will need resistor which will dissipate power and it is considered power losses.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, active crossover gives you more control on crossover frequency adjustment/tuning, individual speaker level adjustment, and no power losses. Though you might need more amplifier channels, but in return this gives you more power and head room to spare.

FYI, i am also using 4th order active LR crossover for my DIY audio system with 4 channel LM1875 diy made amplifier and i am very pleased with the results. And the speaker i used are budget speakers.

IMO it is worth consider an Active Crossover for your speakers if you REALLY plan to improve your speaker system. (Of course It is much more costly but you are more happy at the end)

Good luck then.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjmf View Post
hi,

If you really think that you need to improve your speaker(and also more power), then i will suggest to go for active crossover system rather than spend on passive crossover which involves inductors, capacitors and resistors. These components can introduce losses which means that power loss inside the passive crossover. For example when you need to pad the level for each speaker will need resistor which will dissipate power and it is considered power losses.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, active crossover gives you more control on crossover frequency adjustment/tuning, individual speaker level adjustment, and no power losses. Though you might need more amplifier channels, but in return this gives you more power and head room to spare.

FYI, i am also using 4th order active LR crossover for my DIY audio system with 4 channel LM1875 diy made amplifier and i am very pleased with the results. And the speaker i used are budget speakers.

IMO it is worth consider an Active Crossover for your speakers if you REALLY plan to improve your speaker system. (Of course It is much more costly but you are more happy at the end)

Good luck then.
Hi, Utterly pointless post regarding $10 loudspeakers, rgds, sreten.
Old 25th July 2012, 02:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

thanks for the feedback BTW .... but if for me definitely i would have gone for active system ...

regards, dannyjmf.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Infinity RS 2000.2

Any suggestions if this speaker needs to uprade the xover system to a better one(replace it all). cuz the original value of the caps is a hard to find.

Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 08:17 AM   #9
pkozul is offline pkozul  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

I actually have the same set of speakers - Infinity RS2. Picked them up about a year ago for about $40. Great speakers for our study. They're connected to a TA2020 T-amp which is fed music from the laptop via an Edirol USB DAC. They produce quite good bass and have a nice, crisp sound. Not sure how old they are (from the 80s maybe?) but they sound find to me. Haven't really considered upgrading the crossover but might check it out at some stage. Anyway, enjoy them!

Cheers,
Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!