Completed GR-Research Paradox-3's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2003, 09:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Hewie Send a message via Yahoo to Hewie
Default Completed GR-Research Paradox-3's

Yipee, I finally finished my speakers. They are a GR-Research Paradox-3 kit. Below are a couple of pictures. (All walls are parallel despite what the picture looks like) I first connected them to a radio in the garage for a few hours to check them out, then brought them in the house. The first few tracks I listened to were a wide variety of jazz, R&B, vocal, and rock on CD and vinyl including Cannonball Adderlly, Karrin Allyson, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Nickle Creek, Live and Bush. All I can say at this point is I'm tickled. Even my wife has commented how great they sound, which is out of character for her.

A couple of points on construction: material is pre-veneered cherry MDF with walnut corners and a walnut base. I included the Sonicap upgrade and used Black Hole 5 damping. It was my intention to wire for bi-wiring/amping, but somehow I got so anxious to complete them, I wired them normally per the plans. Oh well, I'll get around to this latter.

There are some additional assembly pics at http://hewitts.freeservers.com/photo2.html

I really want to extend an extra thanks to Danny at GR for his patience in answering all my questions along the way.

After I finish some closet cabinets, I'm gonna start a tube amp project...can't wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finishedsized.jpg (67.8 KB, 1010 views)
Old 17th October 2003, 09:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Say, how do you attach more than 1 picture to a post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finisheddriverssized.jpg (51.3 KB, 998 views)
Old 18th October 2003, 04:06 AM   #3
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Default Great Job

I especially like the black walnut edgebanding against (birch I think) Shows some design insight. How do they sound??????

Mark
Old 18th October 2003, 04:30 AM   #4
Guss is offline Guss  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm sure the dust is gonna kill these tweeter before you realize you need a grill! , nice job on boxes. What is the total Z ?

XO ??? thanks
Old 18th October 2003, 04:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Guss
What is the total Z ? XO ???
All the info is here...
http://www.gr-research.com/paradox/paradox_3.htm
Old 18th October 2003, 09:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Guss
I'm sure the dust is gonna kill these tweeter before you realize you need a grill
Actually, grills are in progress. There are 6 magnets just behind the veneer, but I prefer the look w/o the grills. Are Focal Tc120Tdx2 tweeters really that sensitive to dust? I didn't imagine it would be a problem. Please share any experiences. Danny?
Old 18th October 2003, 09:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Great Job

Quote:
Originally posted by mwmkravchenko
I especially like the black walnut edgebanding against (birch I think)
Thanks. Cherry, actually, with an oil/varnish finish.

Quote:
[How do they sound??????[/B]
It's hard to be objective, especially since they are replacing a cheap pair of JVC speakers. But, so far I'm really happy. I've listened to alot of music over the past few days. CD and vinyl. Primarily jazz, R&B, and rock such as REM, Live, Bush etc.

Everything is new again. I hear notes and instruments that have always just been a blur. My wife commented it felt like she could hear individual strands from the brush on a snare. And the soundstage is layed out in front of us like it has never been before. And womens voices (Cowboy Junkies, Ella Fitzgerald, Gillian Welsh) are superb.

I really wanted to find a speaker that didn't absolutely require a sub, so I could focus my time and $$ on upgrading amps and source components. Bottom end punch for the type of music I listen to is stong and clean, so I'm happy there too.

Components are NAD 2175 receiver, Trio tube tuner, Yamaha CDC-655, and Rega Planar 3 w/ old arm and Benz Micro MC20.

Dave
Old 18th October 2003, 11:59 PM   #8
Guss is offline Guss  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewie

Actually, grills are in progress. There are 6 magnets just behind the veneer, but I prefer the look w/o the grills. Are Focal Tc120Tdx2 tweeters really that sensitive to dust? I didn't imagine it would be a problem. Please share any experiences. Danny?
I thought any inverted dome tweeter would be more likely to accumulate dust. I also read an article somewhere on the net but I can't remember where it was, as I changed my computer... it was a review on a 2way bookshelf and the author's name was John BTW. Anyway I love grills, I mean steak, cheers!
Old 3rd November 2003, 08:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Danny
Default Grill

Quote:
Please share any experiences. Danny?
I haven't known of any dust problems associated with these tweeters, and I sold them and used them for about five years.

The Wilson Audio speakers were rarely used with grills using these tweeters too.

Same goes for the larger JM Labs models. I am not even sure if their newer models even have grills.

They are not to fragile and can be wiped off with a Q-tip if needed.

On this model the woofers themselves and tweeter face plate can be wiped down with Armor All or similar products without damage to the woofers.

Your cabinet work looks really good Hewie. Nice job!
Old 3rd November 2003, 09:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

nice touch putting the magnets behind the veneer! I may just have to borrow that idea on my next project. overall they are beautiful speakers. a job well done.

Hide this!Advertise here!