Completed GR-Research Paradox-3's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yipee, I finally finished my speakers. They are a GR-Research Paradox-3 kit. Below are a couple of pictures. (All walls are parallel despite what the picture looks like) I first connected them to a radio in the garage for a few hours to check them out, then brought them in the house. The first few tracks I listened to were a wide variety of jazz, R&B, vocal, and rock on CD and vinyl including Cannonball Adderlly, Karrin Allyson, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Nickle Creek, Live and Bush. All I can say at this point is I'm tickled. Even my wife has commented how great they sound, which is out of character for her.

A couple of points on construction: material is pre-veneered cherry MDF with walnut corners and a walnut base. I included the Sonicap upgrade and used Black Hole 5 damping. It was my intention to wire for bi-wiring/amping, but somehow I got so anxious to complete them, I wired them normally per the plans. Oh well, I'll get around to this latter.

There are some additional assembly pics at http://hewitts.freeservers.com/photo2.html

I really want to extend an extra thanks to Danny at GR for his patience in answering all my questions along the way.

After I finish some closet cabinets, I'm gonna start a tube amp project...can't wait.

Attachments

• finishedsized.jpg
    finishedsized.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,067
Guss said:
I'm sure the dust is gonna kill these tweeter before you realize you need a grill

Actually, grills are in progress. There are 6 magnets just behind the veneer, but I prefer the look w/o the grills. Are Focal Tc120Tdx2 tweeters really that sensitive to dust? I didn't imagine it would be a problem. Please share any experiences. Danny?

Re: Great Job

mwmkravchenko said:
I especially like the black walnut edgebanding against (birch I think)
Thanks. Cherry, actually, with an oil/varnish finish.

[How do they sound??????[/B]

It's hard to be objective, especially since they are replacing a cheap pair of JVC speakers. But, so far I'm really happy. I've listened to alot of music over the past few days. CD and vinyl. Primarily jazz, R&B, and rock such as REM, Live, Bush etc.

Everything is new again. I hear notes and instruments that have always just been a blur. My wife commented it felt like she could hear individual strands from the brush on a snare. And the soundstage is layed out in front of us like it has never been before. And womens voices (Cowboy Junkies, Ella Fitzgerald, Gillian Welsh) are superb.

I really wanted to find a speaker that didn't absolutely require a sub, so I could focus my time and $$ on upgrading amps and source components. Bottom end punch for the type of music I listen to is stong and clean, so I'm happy there too.

Components are NAD 2175 receiver, Trio tube tuner, Yamaha CDC-655, and Rega Planar 3 w/ old arm and Benz Micro MC20.

Dave

Hewie said:

Actually, grills are in progress. There are 6 magnets just behind the veneer, but I prefer the look w/o the grills. Are Focal Tc120Tdx2 tweeters really that sensitive to dust? I didn't imagine it would be a problem. Please share any experiences. Danny?

I thought any inverted dome tweeter would be more likely to accumulate dust. I also read an article somewhere on the net but I can't remember where it was, as I changed my computer...:rolleyes: it was a review on a 2way bookshelf and the author's name was John BTW. Anyway I love grills, I mean steak, :drink: cheers!

Grill

Please share any experiences. Danny?

I haven't known of any dust problems associated with these tweeters, and I sold them and used them for about five years.

The Wilson Audio speakers were rarely used with grills using these tweeters too.

Same goes for the larger JM Labs models. I am not even sure if their newer models even have grills.

They are not to fragile and can be wiped off with a Q-tip if needed.

On this model the woofers themselves and tweeter face plate can be wiped down with Armor All or similar products without damage to the woofers.

Your cabinet work looks really good Hewie. :up: Nice job!

The Paulinator said:
What is involved in getting those cool loking corners on there? Do you just build the box normally and then make adjustments to accomodate them? I've never seen that before, at least not with the corners flush like that...

Actually, it was quite a bit more work than I anticipated. I cut strips of walnut to just over 3/4" square and each panel short by 3/4" per side. Then I used biscuits to attach strips of walnut to the long edges of the baffle and rear panel, and 4 strips to frame the top. Then I assembled the box using biscuits as you normally would. After the box was assembled, I used a flush trim bit and 3/4" roundover bit to finish things off. This method allowed what I thought would be classy looking without using corner braces and thereby messing up the internal volume.

The scariest part was the roundovers - hoping I had layed everything out right. I would have been really bummed routing into each and every biscuit on the roundover!

The photos at http://hewitts.freeservers.com/photo2.html might make this a little clearer.

This is the first project I have ever done that wasn't rough carpentry or painted. My motto's always been, "Putty and paint makes a carpenter what he aint"!

Dave

Baffles and grills

Hey Navin, you should spend more time on our site. ;)

We have been offering pre-cut baffles with grills for our A/V series kits for some time now. Both the baffle and the grill have small Neo magnets imbedded in them that pull to one another.

It works great!

Unseen from the front too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.