Stentorian Insight Requested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have all the makings for some stentorians on the way, but before i start construction I wanted to clear a couple things up.

#1 Is there anything cabinet wise that has been proven to improve the bass? such as individual woofer enclosures? or aperiodic vent size? enclosure size?

#2 what is the best kind of stuffing that can be had locally? foam chunks or pillow filling stuff?

#3 any specific reasons to use MDF? i don't care for the idea of only gluing..

This is a very good project with huge bang for the buck. Following Curt's cabinet drawings will yield a great design.

1. If you want, you could use additional bracing, maybe using dowel rods to not use up cab space. The "vent" is just a hole drilled in the enclosure that Curt specifies the size. I would go with his spec.

2. Just use the polyfill from Walmart.

3. MDF with square cuts and proper clamping will be more than strong enough. Most here will tell you horror stories about trying to break apart a glue joint after it dries.

Good luck with your project!

3. MDF with square cuts and proper clamping will be more than strong enough. Most here will tell you horror stories about trying to break apart a glue joint after it dries.

Oh, breaking MDF after it's been glued usually results in half the material from one side of the joint remaining glued to the other.

Ply can sometimes be separated and sanded, but with MDF, the glue bond is much stronger than whatever holds the MDF along it's thickness.

Oh, breaking MDF after it's been glued usually results in half the material from one side of the joint remaining glued to the other.

Ply can sometimes be separated and sanded, but with MDF, the glue bond is much stronger than whatever holds the MDF along it's thickness.

I guess i cant really argue with that haha :eek:

with the auras having 8 screw holes, i had planned on just screwing them in like normal, is there any benefit to using t-nuts or hurricane style fasteners instead?

finished assembling them this morning, been listening to them all day. couldn't be happier! i don't think its possible to play the Scorpions to loud. I'll get a few pics up when i paint them. oh and just in case anyone was wondering the $20 lepai amp will not drive stentorians to their potential. it was ok for testing out in the garage but some carver and sansui really wake them up, especially in the bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.