6.5" waveguides for use with SB29

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a pair of these 6.5" waveguides off ebay for $6 ea.

6wave.jpg

I have a number of tweeters that I'd like to use them with.

The XT25-60 and the SB29 are in my posession.

Anyone care to suggest uses, crossover points, mid-bass suggestions...ect.

Input is appreciated.

Im using an active crossover but Im open to playing. I have a ton of passive crossover parts in my parts boxes.

The dimple domed SB29 ain't too shabby in the MCM guide either. Froma directivity standpoint, which should be the primary concern, both should cross no lower than 2khz as that guide won't hold pattern control any lower. While the SB29 in it's normal mounting method extends much lower than the XT, the waveguide offers the horn loading advantage to the XT where now load 2khz LR2 is no problem, otherwise flush mounted 2.5khz is the practical limit.

The mounting interface is paramount with DIY waveguides. Good luck with the fit-up!

I'm working with the 29DRNC and the Denovo EOS-6 guide:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is polycarbonate...very sturdy. The plan is to mill the CD mount off and shape the mating surface with a 1" radius ball mill to get registration of the guide to the faceplate.

Go to:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

Look under "Waveguides"

Last edited:
Ed, Tux: that looks like a nice waveguide, i like the polycarbonate material, way better than the usual ABS, PS or whatever cheap polymer they are usually made of. I was looking for waveguides and CDs, and came across an Oberon (?) horn which looked ace, but i didnt see these! Ive been thinking of waveguiding the 20mm domes i have. Perhaps THOSE are worth a punt. They look quality.

I have everything Denovo from diysoundgroup except the large CDs. It's all good stuff. The EOS6 is my favourite. The opening might be to big for a 20mm dome though. I should pop a SB29 in and check it out. Unfortunately it doesn't just pop in. It's a bolt flange.

Edit - I've posted some measurements of them on the diysoundgroup forum also.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.