glue or screws

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm making isobarics; screws, or bolts, are essential to get at the rear driver. Hardwood battens, T-nuts (or inset hex nuts) and bolts are favourite. I have a nail gun, 2 actually, electric and air, but find a biscuit jointer more useful for holding and fixing panels and battens. Less risk of damage/injury than a nail gun, and increases the glue area, although it takes a little more planning. I used to use nail guns making concrete shuttering; they make lovely machine guns if the safety tip is held in!
All these tools take a fair degree of practice, screwing and/or glueing is less risky in the beginning.

I use glue and screws. The screws ensure a very tight bond while the glue dries. Also the glue only bonds the surfaces together whereas the screws go deep into the surface to be bonded. Try gluing two scraps of MDF together as a butt joint without screws and see how easy it is to break them apart! Not so easy when glued and screwed.

Maybe off topic or not :)

One of the best way to build diy enclosure is to use a wood joining system like lamello :

Lamello :: lamello.com

IMG00251-20120609-0914.jpg

Very easy to use, you can have a look at my actual build nomex 164 :

Le blog de pguerin

Last edited:
Maybe off topic or not :)

One of the best way to build diy enclosure is to use a wood joining system like lamello :

Lamello :: lamello.com

IMG00251-20120609-0914.jpg

Very easy to use, you can have a look at my actual build nomex 164 :

Le blog de pguerin
What you have shown here are biscuit joints, as I suggested. If you mean the locking system shown on their website, I think you may find they loosen with vibration. They did when used for furniture.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.