Wavecor TW030WA10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wavecor TW030WA10

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a new tweeter and I was looking at the Wavecor TW030WA10, but found no info on its max power handling even at its webpage. The only thing I know, it's a 30mm dome size at 8 ohms and performs from 2kHz-30kHz at 90dB sensitivity. These numbers seem pretty ok and it cost almost the same as the Scan-Speak D2608/913000 but I need to know the Wavecor max RMS power handling.

Also to know the difference between a 30mm (Wavecor) dome and a 25mm (most tweeters) in terms of performance would be much appreciated.

And finally, which of these two models would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 17th July 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The RMS power handling of tweeters tends to be very small 5-15 watts etc. Any kind of power rating you will see linked to tweeters is done with 'music' type signals and with an xover filter in place.

Usually distortion measurements will give you an effective way to ensure that a tweeter is capable if you are trying to see how low you can cross a specific model. If very high SPLs are your target though and you're worried of frying a tweeter then perhaps a compression driver would be more suitable.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Many thanks, 5th Element!

I think I'm going to try the Scan-Speak D2608/913000 (65 euros) just to avoid bad surprises with the Wavecor (58 euros). And at least the SS is reported "80 watts".

The Wavecor, however, seemed to be a nice try and I was trying to understand how a bigger 30mm dome performs over a "regular" 25mm for most tweeters...

Cheers.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well it's all down to surface area and linear excursion. The slightly larger dome area will give you an off axis performance a little poorer when compared to standard 1" domes, but, all things being equal, should give you a little more head room at the bottom of its range by needing less excursion to reach the same SPL.

Now the 30mm dome apparently has 11cm² of surface area vs the 7cm² of the scan dome, which is a healthy increase. The wavecor dome apparently has 0.35mm of xmax vs the 0.5mm of the scan dome, giving the wavecore a slight edge when it comes to how much air the device can shift, however the difference isn't huge and the HDS tweeter happens to have one of the best motors around, which in this case is more likely to give you cleaner output where it counts.

Zaph has measured the TW030WA05-01 over on his blog and while decent, it isn't anything special. The tweeter you're interested in could be quite different, but based on Zaph's measurement of that tweeter I'd rather go for the HDS.

Hide this!Advertise here!