Wanting to go OB again...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is another reason for my suggestion of a line array.

*Height* is a component of baffle area (and line arrays as line sources are necessarily tall), even though it doesn't have as much effect on pressure loss as width. It becomes even more important with multiple drivers distributed on the face of the baffle (..in other words the midbass/midrange drivers distributed along the baffle will benefit even more at the bottom of their passband).

So,

-you can sacrifice some baffle width by increasing baffle height.
(say, 18 inches wide by 72 inches high.)

ANOTHER reason arguing for a line array format (with a necessarily tall baffle) is the potential to utilizing combing effects to an advantage - by reducing spl at those "boosted" higher freq.s via extreme driver separation.

More specifically:

-have one 15" bass driver on top of the array and one on the bottom of the array (..with mids and tweets between them).
(i.e. WmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmW. ..vertically of course)

This can effectively "cut" the rising response (of those woofers) and dramatically improve the integration when only using a 1st order electrical at lower freq.s to both eq. the pressure loss AND act as a low pass filter for integration with the mid-range.

I have for several years used a line array construction OB for bass duty to go with various horn system (incl. customized AG Trio) and I can tell you it works like a charm. I started with 4 x 15" per side, in baffles that were 25" wide and about 6' tall, then I changed the construction two years ago and went for a complete line source comprising of 5 x 15" in a symmetrical line source were the distance from the bottom driver to the floor is equal to the distance between the drivers AND from the top driver to the roof. I have always been very cautious with regards to symmetry in room/speaker placement - it makes things so much easier to start with. provided of course, that you have that kind of dedicated room/space available.

So now the new system has equal help from both the floor and the ceiling - it is effectively "coupled" to both, and thanks to the benefit of the line source and some clever way of connecting the drivers I now have a flat response down to 32 Hz measured/adjusted for in the listening position. The energy focus in the listening spot is downright scary..

BUT there's even badder stuff waiting in line... hehe...

As I have learned from drag racing - there's no substitute for cubic inches. That certainly applies for proper OB bass!

Hi

Can I make some more alternate suggestions?

How about an Eminence Beta12LTA, with phase plug and eNabled. There have been some good comments about this unit. Should be high eff.

Another suggestion, since you're looking at AN, is the AN15'' driver, also eNabled and treated. BudP (the inventor of the eNable process) had very good things to say about it after it was treated. He really likes it with no baffle at all and some bass support. This should also be high eff. If I think of more alternatives, and if you're interested, I'll post again when I do. :)

For the bass section, how about looking at a Karlson-style OB bass. This could get really interesting! Something like a snkby pipe, maybe. You could make the pipe floor to ceiling. This will be very high eff (!), and with a woofer at either end, will rock the house like you will not believe! Just a thought. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

Hi Pengesluk

Have you considered maybe going with Rhythmik Audio's OB motional-feedback subs? I know they're only 12'' units, but 5 - 8 of those bad boys per side, with motional feedback taking them down to about 20Hz or so, would the kind of system I dream about!! Yeah, I'm nuts, but I love deep, powerfull bass. Been a bass nut all my life. :)

BTW, if you want to go absolutely AWESOME (!!), put those Rhytmik Audio units in a floor-to-ceiling snkby pipe. This is based on the Karlson slot. You will not believe what you hear. With just four of those 12'' units in such a cabinet it will blow away anything you have heard!! If you do decide to do this, I just hope you have VERY strong walls and VERY strong (read good) home insurance. That will system will be unlike anything you heard ITO depth of bass, but especially ITO sheer bass slam! Just a thought. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

Hmmm..... this is a new and interesting concept to me. Will have to play around with this to see how it works. Chops, didn't you used to have a system like this?

I had an MTM design using the Usher 15HM's and Altec 511B horns. I loved the sound of that system, but it was rather complex. It was efficient as well, with the bass amp hitting a MAX of about 11 watts on the woofers, and the horns maybe getting a max of about 3 watts, if that to keep up. It was very loud and extremely clean and was capable of hitting a solid 22Hz or so.

I've never done a line array. Once we move into a house, that will probably be in the plans though.

Hello

I've had the Iris's too and although they are a rather great little unit by themselves...Darrel did a good job...two things made them better for me...swapping out the tweeter to a B&C DE10 and using an active xover via DCX2496 or miniDSP...

I think if you have stuff around...start playing actively...game changer for me...

Just my two cents worth :)

The only things I have laying around are a few small amps such as the AudioSource AMP100 and two little SI T-amps, one being the newer, black Dayton one with better bass extension. I don't have an active crossover anymore. I had a Rane AC22B, then the Behringer DCX2496 but sold them long ago. The only other things I have are the Eminence N2012 drivers and the Alpair 10.2 drivers.

Even if they lack the last octave or so of bass, I still like the idea of the Hawthorne SI 15's or AN15. After having and hearing the Klipsch Cornwall's K33 driver and Usher 15's and what they sound like up around 600 to 1000Hz, crossing over to a horn, there's just something about that lower midrange that sounds really natural and lifelike. It has energy and body to it.

BTW, how is the B&C DE10 better than the Eminence ASD1001?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.