Modula MTM-1 crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there this is my first time at building my first speaker set and i wanted to know just before i buy anything that as i live in the United Kingdom i can not get all the parts that are listed for the crossover the parts i can't seem to find are

0.60 mH 14 AWG perfect layer inductor --- Alternative 0.68 mH 14awg
4 ohm , 8ohm, 6ohm, 3ohm, 12watt resistors ---- Alternative15/20 watt versions also the Resistance are a bit higher e.g 4.8ohm, 8.4ohm etc

Is it possible for me to get the alternative ones instead for those values or will that mess up the whole design also for the inductors i can find 0.62mH but it is in 13awg would i be able to use that ???

Thanks

Last edited:
Parts are a little different (some values) between the two continents.
Some that you can't find "here", you may ask from overseas.
USA
PARTS EXPRESS
Madisound Speaker Components
UK
Wilmslow Audio
Audio Components

The problem with the USA is that the shipping cost is too high and for the amount i have to spend on just a few resistors and a inductor its just to high then i will also have to pay tax i also tried those 2 UK shops and none of them have exact parts there off by 0.5-0.7 that's why i wanted to see if i can get the parts with are a little off like a 4.80hm 20 watt resistor instead of a 4ohm 12 watt resistor

Thanks

Stay within 5%. It is more expensive to do it wrong and do it again than to do it correctly the first time.

Is the 5% for the ratings e.g for 0.60mH i can go up to 0.63mH or is that also for the power ratings e.g 12w Resistor i could go up to 12.6w?? As i have read that i can go higher wattage e.g 20 watts but i shouldn't go lower than 12 watts same for the wire AWG i can go thicker but not thinner

Thanks

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You can use any resistor that is rated at maybe 10W or higher. If you can't get the exact values you can combine values.

E.g: for 3 ohms use 3.9 and 12 in parallel. For 4 ohms you can use 3.9. The difference will be small enough that you can experiment with them at a later time.

Falcon Acoustics | The Leading DIY Speaker Parts and Kit Supplier since 1972

Hi, usually better value than Wilmslow, rgds, sreten.

That x/o is very complicated.

ModulaIVMTMSchm.jpg

compare that to : My RS180 MTM Design

Image1.jpg

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sreten, I'm sure I could discuss with you the merits of either method until the wee hours. I've a feeling that means they're both flawed. For example, I occasionally feel I don't have confidence in my measurements and begin to EQ.

Objectivity is limited by our knowledge, also by our skill in carrying it out. Subjectivity is limited by our ears and brain, and their natural abilities. So it seems to be a trade off - I would kill it if I could find it, vs. I can hear it right there... but what do I do with it?

If your best happens to be at the pinnacle of the two methods then surely both are important to you.

Falcon Acoustics | The Leading DIY Speaker Parts and Kit Supplier since 1972

Hi, usually better value than Wilmslow, rgds, sreten.

That x/o is very complicated.

compare that to : My RS180 MTM Design

The reason i have gone with the more complex design/crossover is because the seas tweeter which is used in that mtm design is easier for me to get my hands on and cheaper(£70 pair) than the Dayton audio tweeter(£125 pair) which is harder for me to get my hands on therefore money saved here i could spend on buying better quailty parts for the crossover

Last edited:
Hi,

RJB did a comparison of MTM's : RS180-RS28 MTM

They seem to be competing on complexity for complexities sake.

JB's x/o in comparison just looks like the right choice for the drivers.

There simply is no need for the Seas tweeter x/o section to be so complicated.
JB's x/o point is around 1.7KHz, as is the Seas in Zaph|Audio - ZA-SR71

SR71-crossover.gif

No problem with going with the Seas, but I think the x/o is horribly
over complicated, and a simpler x/o with better parts would be better.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
No problem with going with the Seas, but I think the x/o is horribly
over complicated, and a simpler x/o with better parts would be better.

rgds, sreten.

Jon Marsh does tend to use rather complicated crossovers, but in the case of this MTM he is using a pseudo 8th order xover at around ~1.3kHz, that shows an 8th order initial roll off tending to a 4th order.

I agree with you, the tweeter network is a little more complicated then usual, but really all it is is an L-pad, a zobel and a resonance trap + the 8th order filter and given the type of xover used, the resonance trap was probably needed to ensure proper operation.

I don't think Jon's crossover is over complicated given what it does, however you might be able to arrive at similar end goals with a less elaborate execution.

Hi,

I'm just saying the Seas tweeter could be used with JB's x/o with some
simple tweaking. JM's approach personally does not appeal much to me.

rgds, sreten.

I agree with you, I was only trying to say that to implement that type of filter that the complexity was probably required to do it correctly and, if one were to want to try using that type of filter, that a loudspeaker with the RS180 would probably be one that could benefit from it.

Personally I think a standard 4th order @ around 1800Hz would be enough to tame the RS180.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.