Looking for woofer to Morel ET-338 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2012, 07:06 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I am not familiar with the 8948A, Zaph has measured the 8945A and the 8945P and both are superb. If the 8948A is anything like those then I'd say you're onto a winner. Where in Poland can you buy the Usher drivers, I've had difficulty finding anywhere in Europe that can supply them.
Old 12th July 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Here you have it: www.loudspeakershop.eu - Usher Audio - najlepsze produkty w loudspeakershop.eu - G?o?nik USHER AUDIO 8948-A - USHER AUDIO
Old 12th July 2012, 08:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, it seems they don't quite represent the same value for money that they do in the states, but what's new
Old 18th July 2012, 09:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
This isn't quite true, the diaphragm/coil assembly might be the same but the rest of the tweeters are not. As nonameplum mentions, the xmax of the ET338 means it is not suited to really low xover points.

If you look at the datasheets you will see that the coil in both tweeters is 2.7mm in height. The ET338 has a front plate thickness of 2.5mm, this is an overhung design with only 0.1mm of linear excursion. The supreme on the other hand has a front plate thickness of 4.2mm, this is an underhung design with 0.75mm of linear excursion each way. This is the largest xmax I've ever seen for a 28mm dome.
Is the top plate you speak of, the top plate of the magnet assembly and not the faceplate?

PDF for et338:
http://www.madisound.com/store/manua...-104_09-07.pdf

PDF for Supreme:
http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/ST1048.pdf
Old 18th July 2012, 09:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes, if you look at the datasheets, the top plate is listed as the 'magnetic gap height'. Usually the top plate thickness = the magnetic gap height.

The ET has top plate of 2.5mm thickness with a coil height of 2.7mm. In this case, if you centred the voice coil within the top plate you would have 0.1mm of overhang - hence this is an overhung motor with 0.1mm of 1 way xmax.

The ST on the other hand has a top plate thickness of 4.2mm, with the same 2.7mm voice coil height. If once again you were to centre the voice coil within the top plate you would have the reverse of the first situation, where the magnetic gap now overhangs the voice coil. This is known as an underhung design as the coil sits completely inside the gap. In this case there is (4.2-2.7)/2 = 0.75mm of extra gap on either side of the coil when it is centred within the gap, giving it 0.75mm of one way xmax.
Old 19th July 2012, 01:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for putting the time into that. I thought they were essentially the same unit. I just sold the supreme 110 without ever using it for 175 pair.
Old 19th July 2012, 01:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

For what it's worth, Mark Ks test of the Supreme's wasn't all that great, at least not worth their asking price. You can probably do better for $90 each.
Old 19th July 2012, 05:04 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
For what it's worth, Mark Ks test of the Supreme's wasn't all that great, at least not worth their asking price. You can probably do better for $90 each.

I tried quite a few tweeters and the ring radiators fit the bill best for me and I couldnt be happier unless the waveguide cleans the low end up some and makes it that much better. My SB29's play all day long. I cross them at 1900 LR4 active.

I did a few builds with the xt25-60's active xover 4th order electrical @ 2400 and they are really good but need a midbass to cross high.

Im happy where its at but dont mind tinkering.
Old 20th July 2012, 03:24 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
I tried quite a few tweeters and the ring radiators fit the bill best for me and I couldnt be happier unless the waveguide cleans the low end up some and makes it that much better. My SB29's play all day long. I cross them at 1900 LR4 active.

I did a few builds with the xt25-60's active xover 4th order electrical @ 2400 and they are really good but need a midbass to cross high.

Im happy where its at but dont mind tinkering.
I really like how the XT25 sounds too and IMO it just gets better when you put it in a waveguide. I do not think you will be disappointed with the way that it sounds, but you do have to get the crossover correct. In the WG300 I required two notches to get it flat, I suppose you could get by with just one but when you've got a DSP to abuse adding in another notch is a trivial thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!