First time OB builder - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 04:03 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Already started to formulate some ideas of suspension. The idea of using some clear acrylic sheet appeals to me, even though it can be expensive in thicker sizes, I think it would look kind of cool if the drivers looked like they were suspended in mid air.

Am initally thinking springs to hold them in place but a piece of threaded rod would probably work just as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No Baffle Spring Loaded.jpg (69.0 KB, 374 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 05:12 AM   #42
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

i think the raal will be ok for 1.8khz, but many says that they are more comfortable above 2khz.

10??? surrounds? check with essentialaudio.com.au also for peerless and scanspeak.
Old 7th September 2012, 05:16 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

On the weekend I was moving the tweet/mid crossover point up and down the range (never lower than 1600) and every time I keep coming back to the factory recommended 1600Hz with 4th order L-R crossover.

No 3 x 2 for L-C-R, and 1 in each of 4 rears, or 2 x 2 if I only make 2 rears.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:09 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
No I was actually refering to the vertical spacing. As you can see in my current speakers there is a gap between the mid and the woofers. Was wondering if that was still required in OB /NB.
Requirement here is the same as with any speaker, ideally within 1/4 wl.

Attached is a pic of my dipoles as they are currently, sorry for the quality it's a phone shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-ways.jpg (66.3 KB, 348 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 11:51 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Nate much appreciated. Its good to see the ideas of others and draw some inspiration.Last night the neighbours car alarm went off three times at 1.30am and then I couldn't sleep. While trying to get back to sleep an idea came to me... For the last few days I have been kicking around the idea of using an acrylic holder to mount the drivers, but hadn't really finalise a method of holding the holder in place. Well last night the idea of using bicycle spokes popped into my head. The idea is drill some small hole in the acrylic plate near the edge and push the spoke through. If I could get a die the same as the thread they put on the rim end I could make them whatever length I want.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:43 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the weekend I was moving the tweet/mid crossover point up and down the range (never lower than 1600) and every time I keep coming back to the factory recommended 1600Hz with 4th order L-R crossover.

No 3 x 2 for L-C-R, and 1 in each of 4 rears, or 2 x 2 if I only make 2 rears.
Not sure how loud you listen and I know CTC suffers, but I do not like the Raal below 2KHz. I don't even use them in my system under 3KHz right now. Above 3KHz, they might be the best sounding drivers out there.

Greg
Old 8th September 2012, 12:44 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehansen66 View Post
Requirement here is the same as with any speaker, ideally within 1/4 wl.

Attached is a pic of my dipoles as they are currently, sorry for the quality it's a phone shot.
I'm loving this! Thanks for the picture.

Greg
Old 8th September 2012, 01:38 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thanks! One of these days I'll do a thread.......
Old 8th September 2012, 02:46 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Not sure how loud you listen and I know CTC suffers, but I do not like the Raal below 2KHz. I don't even use them in my system under 3KHz right now. Above 3KHz, they might be the best sounding drivers out there.

Greg
lm not doing a MTM, it will be MMTMWMW like StigErik (or TMMMWMW). M and MW will be in pairs with the cones from each pair facing opposite directions. That's why I am looking at using the acrylic shown above, each pair of the same drivers would be mounted together one facing forward the other facing back.

Not sure what the crossover will look like once the drivers are mounted. What size mids are you using?

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 8th September 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 8th September 2012, 03:06 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
lm not doing a MTM, it will be MMTMWMW like StigErik (or TMMMWMW). M and MW will be in pairs with the cones from each pair facing opposite directions. That's why I am looking at using the acrylic shown above, each pair of the same drivers would be mounted together one facing forward the other facing back.

Not sure what the crossover will look like once the drivers are mounted. What size mids are you using?
Right, I got that your were going the S.E. route, but the higher you cross, the more you need to consider CTC even btw the two mids or btw the mid and the Raal. I'm running dual Neo10 planars. I'd could turn one of my mids around too but it wouldn't buy me anything! Haha, got Stig on that one.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-22_19-04-25_25.jpg (79.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg dipole.jpg (25.7 KB, 311 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!