Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 08:52 AM   #391
diyAudio Member

btw. Discussing about bass in your room. Have you measured the room modes and identified the best place & angle for the speakers? This should be done first of all.
Old 11th January 2013, 02:02 AM   #392
diyAudio Member

I haven’t fallen off my perch I have just stop to reflect a bit…
To move forward I truly need to understand in much better detail what effect BSC has on my bass.
For me that means writing a program… yeah I know that sounds strange, but to get right down to the nitty gritty of it, I need to get into the code and formulas.
Only then will I be able to fully appreciate what the baffle and the room is doing to the speakers.
I can keep throwing speakers at it until the cows come home, but common sense tells me I need to stop and understand the fundamental better before trying any more test baffles.

I have started up a new thread here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/227205-bsc-calculator.html to develop an application that will help illuminate the situation.
I have deliberately not used a spreadsheet or other software to calculate this so when I finally get to the point of entering the parameters into my application it will have one of those holy cow moments.
Knowing myself I will then automatically want to try different baffle shapes to get things looking better. So I am going to beat myself to the punch and write the app before I enter any real data.

The second reason I am writing this app is I need to practice my coding skills, and if I don’t write something of interest it will wind up in the draw with a number of other unfinished apps I have started on.
Old 14th September 2013, 11:43 AM   #393
diyAudio Member

Been a while since I last posted in this thread but I haven't finished tinkering just yet. With the weather starting to warm back up I felt inspired to go out into the shed today and trim up the test baffle I have been using for some time now.

I definitely like the more open and less shrouded sound of the other test baffle, so I have trimmed up around the tweeter and the mids, and after putting everything back together and testing I had everything wired up properly, I accidently dropped a lead from the output of the active xover to the amp.

Talk about bad luck the center tip of the lead touched one of the output terminals of the only amp I had left on blowing one of the channels. Lucky the xover was off as was the amp I was hooking the lead up to.

Not sure if I will bother fixing since I plan to replace the amp down the track. So here are a couple of pics of the latest rendition of the baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0198.jpg (484.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0200.jpg (451.9 KB, 73 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!