First time OB builder - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2012, 01:30 PM   #31
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

what i mean is, u can use them as transition midbass to your scan illuminator.

similar with what gainphile did
Old 6th September 2012, 01:43 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Have 4 channels available both sides, not really sure if I would attempt a 4 way or a 3 way with sub, I am more geared towards music then I am movies, but then I really don't want it lacking come movie time either.

So perhaps replace the 12MU in the front for something in the 6" range, some 10s for mid bass and some 15s for lets shake the walls?

Edit:
Or perhaps keep the 12MUs use some 8" for mid bass?

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 6th September 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 6th September 2012, 03:26 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
Next step is to try put together some kind of basic OB this weekend. StigErik on the picture where the speakers are held by wire was that successful?
I'm not StigErik but I have 4-way dipoles, with the upper 3 ways suspended by wire. I can tell you that it works quite well, it just takes a good bit of eq to get a flat response.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:43 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nate do you have any pictures?
Lying in bed last night trying to get to sleep my head was overrun by questions…
When building in a typical cabinet there seems to be a space between the mid / tweeter and the bass is that still applicable when there is no baffle?
Do the speakers move when played loud?
Does the wire vibrate?
Could you use a piece of steel pipe and make an upside down U and suspend the speakers from that cutting down on the length of wire?
I was also thinking of making the hoop out of wood, since I have a decent router and skills to build it.

Is there a calulatable loss to the bass if it is suspended?
Old 7th September 2012, 02:36 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I'll try to put up some pics tomorrow.

When you say space are you talking about front to back offset of the drivers - time alignment? I use planar drivers for upper mid and tweet so alignment is simple. Alignment with the lower mid is not so simple. John k used to have an article about time alignment of dipoles on musicanddesign.com but I can't seem to access that article now........basically you need to consider the front AND rear alignment, and digital delay is no good here because it offsets the rear response in the wrong direction.

No, the drivers don't move. Basically by suspending them the forces cancel. However, my 15" woofers are in a u-frame. I don't see any benefit to suspending the woofers "nude", you just throw away your lower extension and eff even more so than if they were baffled.
Old 7th September 2012, 02:55 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

No I was actually refering to the vertical spacing. As you can see in my current speakers there is a gap between the mid and the woofers. Was wondering if that was still required in OB /NB.

But on time allignment I notice in StigErik's photos he aligns the drivers pretty much on the front face plate and was wonderig if that was the most "ideal" place, or just the most convenient with the screw holes being there.

Or should you be shooting for mid distance on the cone height as the crossover point?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7329.JPG (673.9 KB, 411 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 03:14 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

i know it just seems strange, how will u get bass if no pressure from the box.

you could do some audition to get a feel of OB, the speaker that lead me to OB was Jamo R909, i was very very impressed with the sound, the only speaker close to it was ATC sealed scm50 active in terms of bass. i cant adford any of those speakers :d, so i look for more info about OB, then ive tried the eminence beta and alpha, it works. i cant say its as good as jamo, but definitely within the ballpark.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:16 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

oh you were talking about that, it wont interfere the wavelength, but having the woofer near the floor, prob as an effort to boost the bass.

ans also its esthetically pleasing :d
Old 7th September 2012, 03:29 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

in terms of bass and midbass, Size does matter
Old 7th September 2012, 03:35 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

How would a pair of these go as mid-woofers? http://www.speakerbits.com/index.php...com_virtuemart

I'm looking at buying 10 of them. These are basically the Illuminator verson of what I have in the Cremonas. I notice that 8" seems to be a popular size for mid woofers is 6.5 close enough?

Hide this!Advertise here!