First time OB builder - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 12:19 AM   #281
diyAudio Member

Sorry let me clarify that point.. I meant the mids to the mid woofer, not the tweeter to the mids. Before they were more in line now the drivers are all bunched up.

No measurements yet I only got a short listen in last night after making the mods.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:09 AM   #282
diyAudio Member

Just finished my latest incarnation of the test baffle...
Immediately it sound much more open and natural even without touching the crossover from its previous setting.

Will fire up the cross software in a minute to see what changes it makes but for now here a pic of the new stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1087-1.jpg (119.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 17th October 2012, 12:21 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Holy Dooley...its a good thing these speakers don't put out because my partner would be in trouble ;-) think I'm in love!

Made a few crude adjustments to the crossover and sat back and listened to some Pink Floyd. Listen to High Hopes with my eyes closed I nearly fell asleep I was so lost in the music.

I'm nearly scared to build the second speaker in case I ruin perfection. Ok so its not perfect yet, but it well on its way. I think it would be a close call between these and some $55k Gryphon Atlantis speakers I listen to a while back they sound that good.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:59 AM   #284
diyAudio Member

Chopped the baffle down today... not sure that was a necessarilly a good move, but its all part of the learning curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1097.jpg (126.5 KB, 191 views)
Old 18th October 2012, 11:42 AM   #285
diyAudio Member

Congrats on making progress and making a few set backs. As you said - all part of the learning curve.

Enjoy!
Old 18th October 2012, 12:02 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

Thanks, pretty hard to go wrong as they are all great sounding drivers, but there are certain combos that definitely sound better than others. I can see why StigErik is a fan of the baffless setup they sound great like that.

Still think there are some gains to be had in the bass department but no giant leaps, more along the lines of refinement. There are times when I think there is just the right balance of bass and other times when I think it needs to just go a bit lower.

Really glad I listened to the advice that OB is great for bass. It is in a whole different league to small drivers in a box. Thanks to everyone that persevered with me to get to this point.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:27 PM   #287
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
Really glad I listened to the advice that OB is great for bass.
Since you seem to learn primarily from looks, you should take a look, where people in the know put their bass drivers in - it's always a H or U frame. May be you want to follow them too and get rid of that plain baffle.

Rudolf
Old 18th October 2012, 12:38 PM   #288
diyAudio Member

Yes if you go back several pages you will see plans for a H frame are already afoot. The flat baffle was to get the driver off the floor and to establish some kind of bass line to judge other designs from. Slowly getting there but with every change I learn something new.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:53 PM   #289
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
Yes if you go back several pages you will see plans for a H frame are already afoot.
When I saw your assorted drivers on that big OB, I had feared for a minute that you might have lost control
But you could have a sort of inner radar leading you back on the way. Last remark: Forget about that funny "horn loading" association in connection with a woofer H frame. You might gain better looks - but nothing more.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:39 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

I have mostly abondoned the idea of fancy cabinets for now, for that very reason, it might be mostly cosmetic, and I need to focus on what makes a difference to performance.

In my extensive baffle making experience (all of 5 minutes now ) I have come to the conclusion that virtually any thing that helps the bass will also hinder the sound.

For example I put the cardboard box that the 18" came in up against the front of the baffle (both ends taped back) to form a crude square baffle extension, and there was an audible increase in bass (SPL) and what appeared to be slighly lower in frequency, but at the same time it did seem to every so slightly colour the sound.

So I really dont want to add anything that wont help the end result. I do plan to vere slightly off the beaten path with the H frame, in as much as I plan not to mount the driver to the cabinet.

I was reading on the Linkwitz website about driver mounting Issues in speaker design - 2 and it gave me an idea, if I isolate the driver from the cabinet, I can then mount the tweeter and mids to the H frame without it receiving vibrations from the woofer.

Allowing me to kill two birds with one stone... improve the sound of the woofer and make mounting of the tweeter - mids easier.

Still trying to work out what to do with the 10", it really needs to be there but where to fit it without disturbing the balance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Isolation 2.jpg (107.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Total Isolation 3.jpg (87.5 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 18th October 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!