First time OB builder - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2012, 04:19 PM   #111
Banned

Which B&C driver?
Old 15th September 2012, 04:25 PM   #112
Banned

You don't see bass players using subwoofers, so unless you are a pipe organ fan or like to listen to explosions then chasing 20Hz, doesn't really make much sense to me
Old 15th September 2012, 04:52 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
You don't see bass players using subwoofers, so unless you are a pipe organ fan or like to listen to explosions then chasing 20Hz, doesn't really make much sense to me
Not true. Much studio production has content below 40Hz. Also movies have content below 40Hz. AND, if you are interested in big orchestral music, good recordings in large halls DO sometimes have very low content. Kind of a hall sound that many people have never heard to know that it is there. Reproducing that, especially in stereo adds a whole new dimension to the depth and soundstage of a recording. Really cool when you hear and feel it.
Old 15th September 2012, 04:54 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
Which B&C driver?
B&C 15NDL76 15" Neodymium Woofer 294-683
Old 15th September 2012, 05:02 PM   #115
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Melon Head ... I use the subs to combine with the 2-ways LF. (these roll off @116hz) So it's sort of like a 3-way system I guess but the subs are detached and can be positioned as distributed bass.
Old 15th September 2012, 05:21 PM   #116
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Your enthusiasm for the '416 is noted Melon Head. I'd be really interested to hear those myself. Not ridiculously expensive either. Still not cheap of course!
Old 15th September 2012, 11:26 PM   #117
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
Melon Head ... I use the subs to combine with the 2-ways LF. (these roll off @116hz) So it's sort of like a 3-way system I guess but the subs are detached and can be positioned as distributed bass.
My definition of a subwoofer is a driver that is designed to be used soley below 40Hz
Old 15th September 2012, 11:37 PM   #118
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Not true. Much studio production has content below 40Hz. Also movies have content below 40Hz. AND, if you are interested in big orchestral music, good recordings in large halls DO sometimes have very low content. Kind of a hall sound that many people have never heard to know that it is there. Reproducing that, especially in stereo adds a whole new dimension to the depth and soundstage of a recording. Really cool when you hear and feel it.
I don't disagree with any of that. I just have not heard a sub that improved the sound of the music I am intetested in. Subs tend to excite your whole room into resonances masking the detail you are trying to hear in the music, most of what is pleasing in the bass region are the harmonics which sit higher up above 40Hz.
For studio application where you are recording a whole heap of different music then I can see the importance, but for diy and home use I think it is important to determine what you are trying to achieve in reference to the music you like and attacking it from that angle

For some people that might mean subs for others it might mean good quality bass drivers

Last edited by Melon Head; 15th September 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:47 PM   #119
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Your enthusiasm for the '416 is noted Melon Head. I'd be really interested to hear those myself. Not ridiculously expensive either. Still not cheap of course!
I would also love to hear the b&c drivers mentioned above
Old 16th September 2012, 02:52 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Thanks again guys for the input like everything in life there does seem to be a great deal of compromise involved.

I was looking at the two woofers for the harmonics benefit but in reality I am probably going to wind up compromising more important things to do it, so here is what I am currently thinking...

A single 15" of quality to produce tight clean bass, and try get it to go as low as can be reasonably expected within acceptable parameters, maybe ~50Hz?

Leave the sub side of things open until I see what sort of results a single 15" can reproduce, then work out if I want to go with some really large OB drivers or some smaller cabinet subs.

The other thing that has changed is that I am now going to be using a dipole RAAL which has a slightly lower efficiency (~93dB)

and the 2 x 12MUs come in around 93dB as well, so I really don't want to be driving up the woofer SPL, when what I really need is to get lower in frequency.

So any of the efficient 15" is probably going to be border line needing attenuation anyway.

Had a play with a couple of the crossover types and different slopes to see how it effected the curve and without any real measurements I need to leave that step to a bit further down the track.

Hide this!Advertise here!