First time OB builder - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2012, 09:40 AM   #91
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Why not OB bass? In my opinion, its the bass range where OB's have their strongest advantages.
I agree 100000%
Old 15th September 2012, 10:29 AM   #92
Banned

Rushed through your thread.
Just a few comments.
The illuminators should be fine down to 300Hz
Go dual woofers either 15s, 12s, or 10s.
Great plains 416
Beyma 15p80/Nd
Beyma 12mw/Nd
Beyma 12g40
Eminence Delta Pro 15
Eminence Beta

There are also others, but have a look at those. Not sure what your budget is but you don't want to skimp on the area between 30Hz and 500Hz, a large percentage of music falls in that range

If you can't do dual 15s then consider dual 12s or dual 10s

If you do it right you should not need a subwoofer

Last edited by Melon Head; 15th September 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:27 AM   #93
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread. Don't ignore the GR Research OB system. After a lot of thought I've purchased a set. These can stretch up to 300Hz and might simplify your build by allowing a three-way speaker. Given that construction of OB test mules isn't very difficult or time consuming I'd consider building with the monopole RAALs and have a listen to that first. A potentially useful 'half-way house' solution with the mids would be a shallow open-backed stuffed box, which is essentially what Studiotech has done with his B&G Neo 10s, IIRC. I only have RAAL 71-10Ds, but I do have Neo 8s as well as 10s, so I may end up with a four way system myself...
Old 15th September 2012, 11:38 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Melon Head nothing stops me going with duel 18" both sides... but the AE 15" look better.

Money is not a huge concern (obviously important, but won't stop me doing this right).

Just paid $1000 deposit on the RAAL dipole 140-15D, so that part is now locked in.

Think I will probably go four way and look at separate subs as required, would be nice not to need them.

Toaster agree think I need something quality to bridge the 12MUs to whatever woofers I decide on.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:43 AM   #95
Banned

I honestly reckon the GPA 416 will be better than the AE 15.
Hopefully someone who has heard both can comment.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:52 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Looking purely at specs and the ability to reproduce the low frequencies without massive roll off, the AE15 had a qts of .94 vs the GPA416-8 qts of .21

BUT!!!! I have never owned a woofer this size before, so I really need some sound guidance on buying something that is of the same quality of the other drivers (forgetting price for a moment, so we don't exclude something great).

Looking to run two per side so that may mean running parallel or series...

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 15th September 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:59 AM   #97
Banned

honestly forget about high qts.
Also consider efficiency, but most importantly consider the sound.
If you have the ability to EQ the drivers, which it seems you do then consider other options.
I really don't like the sound of high qts drivers in OB.
Everyone is different but I find high qts drivers bloated, unrefined, lacking detail and lacking tight dynamics
Just so you know I am not a fan of anything over qts 0.7

Last edited by Melon Head; 15th September 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:07 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Well, actually I was suggesting that you might not need to, depending on the woofer choice! Since money isn't a stopper though, 4-way will give you more flexibility. I would certainly have considered something very similar to Studiotech's build if I had the space, including the sealed subs. There's no sensible way I can place a big OB and subs though, so the GRs make the most sense in my relatively small room. If you are only going to be using OBs down to 40 or 50Hz, you can consider the OB bass driver on its merits down to those sort of frequencies. Something like the AE 15 isn't as useful if it's never going to see really low bass. I've heard neither, but my speaker-sense is telling me that in the range above 40Hz, Studiotech's proven B&Cs or the GPA 416s are probably going to be tough to beat. Oh, and if you are using sealed subs, no real need for two 15"s, I'd've thought.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:11 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

What Melon Head said. Both Studiotech and the UK importer of the Bastanis speakers have settled on (different) lowish Q 15s. It's a question of application, 'horses for courses'. If you want OB all he way down, I reckon the GRs are the way to go, obviously, but the AEs are another option, as are the Hawthorne Augies, but if you are only going down to 40Hz OB, that's a different set of compromises.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:37 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
Everyone is different but I find high qts drivers bloated, unrefined, lacking detail and lacking tight dynamics
Ok well I definitely don't want that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
so the GRs make the most sense in my relatively small room. If you are only going to be using OBs down to 40 or 50Hz, you can consider the OB bass driver on its merits down to those sort of frequencies. Something like the AE 15 isn't as useful if it's never going to see really low bass. I've heard neither, but my speaker-sense is telling me that in the range above 40Hz, Studiotech's proven B&Cs or the GPA 416s are probably going to be tough to beat. Oh, and if you are using sealed subs, no real need for two 15"s, I'd've thought.
Sorry not familiar with GR who are they? Probably best to explain what I'm chasing then... I wan't fast, tight and clean bass, as low as possible but not willing to sacrifice quality of sound to get it, so perhaps as you say maybe I should be looking at something with a lower qts and maybe running doubles to get the extra volume?

Hide this!Advertise here!