Question on port placement???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help....

I am building a sonosub of about 2 cubic feet with a Hsu-type small footprint design (tall and skinny 14 inch sonotube). Using a 3 inch port, places the inside port opening close to and directly behind the driver.

Is this placement a problem??

Wayne Jaeschke on speakerbuilder.net strongly discourages this - mentions he had to install an X brace between the port and driver to correct port noise problems. But I am not finding any such dire warning from other sources. And, near as I can tell, Hsu places his ports dead center, and unless the tubes are curved inside, they likley open directly behind the driver.

A 4 inch tube would have to mounted be off center and folded 180 degrees and I assume would not have any problem.

However... wouldn't the internal ridges caused by splicing in elbows cause air turbulence and noise?

Any feedback highly appreciated!

thanks
peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.