ideas for a 3 way floor speaker with axiom 80 mids?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so here in Australia we have things called 'council cleanups' where people can throw away all there stuff on the side of the road, and after 2 weeks the council trucks will come and pick it up. every time me and my dad go out and see if we can find some nice stuff (which we always do!).

so last time we were driving around and saw what clearly were homemade speakers which we never even stop to see since 98% of them don't even have crossovers. but this time we did and turns out they had some really nice crossovers and yes, a nice pair of axiom 80's!!! they also had the oval bass drivers from the kef cadenza and small realistic tweeters.

now we are thinking of building a floor speaker with 12" bass drivers, axiom 80's for mids and whatever we have lying around for tweeters.

i was wondering if you guys can suggest any ideas? i was thinking of doing the old sub in it's own cabinet down below, then the mids in a smaller individual box above, and then an even smaller cabinet for the tweeter up top.

Good find and lucky - my council is there within a day or so of when they say they will be. In the last one, I put stuff out Sunday, and it was gone before noon on Monday. All the metal and electronics were scavenges within an hour.

The SB Acoustics 12" SB34NRX75-6 is available locally for about $200 ea. Plenty of tweets will work with it too - Zaph's list would help narrow it down.

Hi

Have you had a look at Thorsten's Magnificat speakers? If not, just Google it. Thorsten believes that the Axiom 80s are some of the best fullrange drivers of all time. He rates them higher than Lowthers, so have a look. It might be the type of design you're looking for.

Enjoy,
Deon

PS. As a replacement for the hard-to-find Goodmans Axiom 201 used in that design, have a look at the Tone Tubby 12'' alnico drivers. They are also alnico like the Axiom 80, so they would be a good match. You'd have to tame the elevated part of the frequency of the TT (between 1.5kHz & 5kHz- see Lynn Olson's MLSAA measurements on the Nutshell audio site) with a shelf filter or a version of baffle-step compensation, but their lack of break-up will work much better than normal guitar drivers (see Lynn's comments). Then put the oval Kef bass drivers in a large tapped horn for the extreme bass end. That could be a very cool system. :)

PPS. I would look at a good ribbon tweeter rather than the piezo in the Magnificat design, but that's just me. :)

True, and that is part of the beauty of the design. Problem is, if you don't have a pair of Axiom 201s lying around, they'd be difficult to copy. Hence my suggestion of the TT 12'' alnicos. They will need a XO (the TTs), but are sufficiently high-efficiency and high-Q to make the project work. You could also try to contact Thorsten himself and ask him for ideas. He used to post here under the moniker Keui Wei Yang (not sure of the correct spelling of that name, though.) If you do however manage to make a pair of Magnificats (almost regradless of which secondary driver you use), you will be the envy of many. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

now we are thinking of building a floor speaker with 12" bass drivers, axiom 80's for mids and whatever we have lying around for tweeters.

i was wondering if you guys can suggest any ideas?

Yes we can!

Forget multiway fiddling and start with single driver corner reflex cabinets with Ted Jordan's original plan.

Power handling will be the issue, but it will fit most domestical requirements, as long istening room isn't very large.
Their low end reproduction was simply out-of-this-worldish. Any arrangement with additional drivers is not likely to exceed their performance.

The problem is that 340 litres volume, which is rather big.

If you're not happy with that performance, you can look further, as I did, but only reasons I see to further complicate loudspeaker with Axiom 80's are 1) placement issues and 2) need for less monstrous enclosuers, and, in some cases, 3) power handling.

Multiway arrangements will almost certainly require (active) line level XO, thanks to Axiom 80's bizarre features, and that's another can-of-worms there.
IMO crossing -if applied- should be <100 hz 4th pole, and that's pretty much un-doable passively. Higher crossing will ruin that midrange clarity and transparency this driver is so righteously famous, less steep crossing wont enhance power handling enough.

Also, do not except good performance unless high quality front end is used. Almost any commercial solid state won't do, almost any semi-decent SE will, preferrably with a good pre amp. That's one of Axiom 80's drawbacks: There are no more garbage in-garbage out speakers out there.
First recommendations in SS side are battery powered TA2024 or "Le Monstre". Both will require a good preamplifier. TA2024 is barely acceptable, "Le Mostre" seems to be very good by any standards. My 5€cents: any semi-decent SE.

Pay very close attention to linear excursion if too high power<15w amplifiers are used: exceeding allowed excursion will crash suspension cantilevers in the drivers frame causing FUBAR damage in no time.

Last edited:
You could also try to contact Thorsten himself and ask him for ideas. He used to post here under the moniker Keui Wei Yang (not sure of the correct spelling of that name, though.)

Oh, I just tried, a week ago, but it seems that Kuei-San does not accept pm's.

Funnily enough, right now I'm lookin also for makin a Magnificat-reissue:), with a Lomo Kinap 4A-32U4 instead of Axiom 201. It's a 12" driver which fits the bill very nicely: fs=43hz, Z 15ohm nom, Alnico magnet, paper cone and voice coil, no dust cap and very good performance on its own.

@Thorsten, in the case you happen to be lurkin around here, I had some questions about internal damping you used in the "magnificat".

Last edited:
Yes we can!

Forget multiway fiddling and start with single driver corner reflex cabinets with Ted Jordan's original plan.

Power handling will be the issue, but it will fit most domestical requirements, as long istening room isn't very large.
Their low end reproduction was simply out-of-this-worldish. Any arrangement with additional drivers is not likely to exceed their performance.

The problem is that 340 litres volume, which is rather big.

If you're not happy with that performance, you can look further, as I did, but only reasons I see to further complicate loudspeaker with Axiom 80's are 1) placement issues and 2) need for less monstrous enclosuers, and, in some cases, 3) power handling.

Multiway arrangements will almost certainly require (active) line level XO, thanks to Axiom 80's bizarre features, and that's another can-of-worms there.
IMO crossing -if applied- should be <100 hz 4th pole, and that's pretty much un-doable passively. Higher crossing will ruin that midrange clarity and transparency this driver is so righteously famous, less steep crossing wont enhance power handling enough.

Also, do not except good performance unless high quality front end is used. Almost any commercial solid state won't do, almost any semi-decent SE will, preferrably with a good pre amp. That's one of Axiom 80's drawbacks: There are no more garbage in-garbage out speakers out there.
First recommendations in SS side are battery powered TA2024 or "Le Monstre". Both will require a good preamplifier. TA2024 is barely acceptable, "Le Mostre" seems to be very good by any standards. My 5€cents: any semi-decent SE.

Pay very close attention to linear excursion if too high power<15w amplifiers are used: exceeding allowed excursion will crash suspension cantilevers in the drivers frame causing FUBAR damage in no time.

thanks for the advice! now i have more thinking to do....

Yes, My first advice is to build that 340 litres corner enclosure, if you can live with that.

After that, second recommendation is "Magnificat"-clone, which is exactly what I am goin to build next, in a couple of weeks.

IMO using xover, whether line- or loudspeaker line levelwith an Axiom 80 is a "last resort", try to live without.
That's what I've been doin about last 6-7 years, and I'm lookin to get rid of that now.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.