Driver limit?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 03:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver limit??

Hello

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the max from this driver but I would appreciate any better suggestions...

Morel HU621
30L vented cabinet: inside dimensions - 7.5w x 9d x 30.5h
Port: 4" long 2" inside diameter
Slight batting on the sides 1" thick

Tried some simulations in a few programs but I thought I would check in with you experts out there

Thanks kindly!!!
Old 7th July 2012, 05:49 AM   #2
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mdocod
hi sideways,

I think the "answer" here depends on what you mean by "the max" in this case. I think the current alignment does a good job of dragging out bottom end extension, however, would have port chuffing problems unless it is a nicely flared port and is dynamically limited by Xmax if used full range (down to around box tune), (like, sub 100dB@1M).

To get "the max" from this driver, I'd say it need to be high passed, and allow a sub to take over the bottom end. The box could be smaller and tuned higher without consequence in this case.
Old 7th July 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry...forgot to mention...they are x'd over at 2K with a Neo3PDR in dipole config...

I have a pair of Velodyne 10" vented subs and I did try them with the Morel x'd over at 100hz and I must say, I prefer the Morel's by themselves!!

I only lose about 10hz of extension not going with the subs...the V's are good till mid-30's...but what happened was that when the subs were engaged, my soundstage recessed a bit and I didn't get the "full sounding" affect from the Morel's anymore...and I liked that!!

As for port chuffing...I have heard any but I don't usually play loud...do you have a better port size for me to use?? It's not flared...just a straight pvc pipe

Thanks kindly!!

Appreciated!!
Old 8th July 2012, 05:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

At ~10W input (hitting Xmax in passband), with nothing but a straight piece of PVC, simulation of air velocity looks as follows:

Particle Velocity_007.jpeg

That's about twice as high as most people would consider a reasonable upper end limit.

One solution, is to switch to a 3" x 10" diameter piece of PVC, resulting in the following peak air velocity:

Particle Velocity_008.jpeg

That's much better.

Alternatively, a 2x5.5" (flange to flange length) flared port kit, would result in the following:

Particle Velocity_009.jpeg

Either the flared port, or the larger size port, would cut the peak air velocity basically in half. If you can't hear anything, then maybe it's no big deal, but at higher levels, I would expect some noise and some compression losses at the port tuning.

Regards,
Eric
Old 8th July 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

WOW!!

Thanks!!

I'm still learning all this DIY speaker stuff LOL!!! So much info out there that one can get turned around quite fast!!

I would like to know how you calculated those port values...cause honestly...I have a couple different programs here and they both gave me two different answers!!
Old 8th July 2012, 10:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Sideways,

I used hornresp to calculate those values. Most programs will throw around different numbers because most assume a "different" amount of port flare or "smoothed" edges. Hornresp doesn't assume any flaring, in fact, you have to create the port flares to be simulated. No "assumption" involved here.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Horn Loudspeaker Wizard_010.jpeg (29.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 9th July 2012, 12:00 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

FWIW I can't be arsed to help someone who doesn't post the information
they are using. Why should I have to look up the driver in question and
find the information you may or may not be using ?

rgds, sreten.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry man...didn't know it was such a hardship...oh wait...must be that British sense of humor I'm detecting!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MorelHU621.jpg (43.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 9th July 2012, 07:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I only lose about 10hz of extension not going with the subs...the V's are good till mid-30's...but what happened was that when the subs were engaged, my soundstage recessed a bit and I didn't get the "full sounding" affect from the Morel's anymore...and I liked that!!
The subwoofers may have a phase invert switch. Try that. If they don't, reverse the wiring of the main speakers.

Sounds to me like you have cancellation around XO frequency.
Old 9th July 2012, 07:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Your BR's VB and FB don't look that bad.

Hide this!Advertise here!