Driver limit??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the max from this driver but I would appreciate any better suggestions...

Morel HU621
30L vented cabinet: inside dimensions - 7.5w x 9d x 30.5h
Port: 4" long 2" inside diameter
Slight batting on the sides 1" thick

Tried some simulations in a few programs but I thought I would check in with you experts out there :D

Thanks kindly!!!

hi sideways,

I think the "answer" here depends on what you mean by "the max" in this case. I think the current alignment does a good job of dragging out bottom end extension, however, would have port chuffing problems unless it is a nicely flared port and is dynamically limited by Xmax if used full range (down to around box tune), (like, sub 100dB@1M).

To get "the max" from this driver, I'd say it need to be high passed, and allow a sub to take over the bottom end. The box could be smaller and tuned higher without consequence in this case.

Sorry...forgot to mention...they are x'd over at 2K with a Neo3PDR in dipole config...

I have a pair of Velodyne 10" vented subs and I did try them with the Morel x'd over at 100hz and I must say, I prefer the Morel's by themselves!!

I only lose about 10hz of extension not going with the subs...the V's are good till mid-30's...but what happened was that when the subs were engaged, my soundstage recessed a bit and I didn't get the "full sounding" affect from the Morel's anymore...and I liked that!!

As for port chuffing...I have heard any but I don't usually play loud...do you have a better port size for me to use?? It's not flared...just a straight pvc pipe :)

Thanks kindly!!

Appreciated!!

At ~10W input (hitting Xmax in passband), with nothing but a straight piece of PVC, simulation of air velocity looks as follows:

Particle Velocity_007.jpeg

That's about twice as high as most people would consider a reasonable upper end limit.

One solution, is to switch to a 3" x 10" diameter piece of PVC, resulting in the following peak air velocity:

Particle Velocity_008.jpeg

That's much better.

Alternatively, a 2x5.5" (flange to flange length) flared port kit, would result in the following:

Particle Velocity_009.jpeg

Either the flared port, or the larger size port, would cut the peak air velocity basically in half. If you can't hear anything, then maybe it's no big deal, but at higher levels, I would expect some noise and some compression losses at the port tuning.

Regards,
Eric

WOW!!

Thanks!!

I'm still learning all this DIY speaker stuff LOL!!! So much info out there that one can get turned around quite fast!!

I would like to know how you calculated those port values...cause honestly...I have a couple different programs here and they both gave me two different answers!!

Hi Sideways,

I used hornresp to calculate those values. Most programs will throw around different numbers because most assume a "different" amount of port flare or "smoothed" edges. Hornresp doesn't assume any flaring, in fact, you have to create the port flares to be simulated. No "assumption" involved here.

Eric

Attachments

• Horn Loudspeaker Wizard_010.jpeg
    Horn Loudspeaker Wizard_010.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 83
I only lose about 10hz of extension not going with the subs...the V's are good till mid-30's...but what happened was that when the subs were engaged, my soundstage recessed a bit and I didn't get the "full sounding" affect from the Morel's anymore...and I liked that!!

The subwoofers may have a phase invert switch. Try that. If they don't, reverse the wiring of the main speakers.

Sounds to me like you have cancellation around XO frequency.

chris...thanks for the reply!!

The subs do but the DEQX notifies me of anything out of phase when I run through my measurements...so even if the switch was inverted, the DEQX would compensate for that and reverse it again!!

Inductor...thanks!! Yes, I am actually really impressed with these Morel's...and I do think I am getting the most out of them, I just wanted to run this by some veterans on this board in case anyone had any tips for a noob speaker diy'er :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.