Best Speakers for $3000.00 pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No I live in Manhattan, so I don't have access or room for tools I would need. But I'm interested in your opinion, a lot of junk out on the market today. I would love to have a short list, then audition them to make a decision. Years ago I auditioned a pair of Jamo Oriels, wow but wat out of my price range. I currently own a pair of B&W DM 580's, I've had them since 1989. Bought them new in West Germany. So share with me your knowledge.

Looking for input on personal experience, looking at B & W, Jamo, Martin Logan. Any suggestions

Those brands make okay speakers, but I would have a list something like..

Philharmonic Audio 2
Philharmonic Audio 3 (price used to be $2800 but may have gone up recently or is going up)
JBL Professional LSR6332 (if you can get over aesthetics)
KEF R900 (street price should probably come close to ~$3500)
Salk Archos (a bit more at $4500 but worth every cent...)
Revel Performa3 F206
Salk Supercharged Songtower

That said I still do recommend looking into turnkey DIY - for example flat packs of speakers like the Statements, Nao Note, Gedlee Abbey, and SEOS-12 Two-ways. This is a DIY site and we feel there's a lot of fun to be had in constructing your own.

If I had to pick out of the above list though, it would be the philharmonic 2s assuming your room can handle it. They may just be the best speakers I've heard at any price, DIY or not. The tweeter is a dream, the open back midrange resolves every detail with depth, body and and precision, and the woofer is a lot more dynamic than it should be. Dennis Murphy nailed the crossover for a seemless, tonally accurate presentation.

Looking for input on personal experience, looking at B & W, Jamo, Martin Logan. Any suggestions

I haven't heard Jamo.

I have floostanding B&W's that sound good. They are bettered by my PMC floor standers but these are expensive.

Many years ago heard some Martin Logan - sounded good, but as soon as you stand up the treble disappears - too directional for me.

In terms of value for money - most hi-end hi-fi is poor value. It's lowish volume, has to pay for huge marketing costs. Best value, in my opinion, is to buy used.

In terms of value for money - most hi-end hi-fi is poor value. It's lowish volume, has to pay for huge marketing costs. Best value, in my opinion, is to buy used.

Indeed, I would most certainly recommend going for second hand if you can. If you can't then evanc's offer is not to be sniffed at and there are lots of great designs out there for $2000 of parts.

find a design you like, get about $2000.000 worth of parts, mail them to me with another grand and I'll make whatever you want....

..If you can't then evanc's offer is not to be sniffed at and there are lots of great designs out there for $2000 of parts.

Indeed. And make him actually utilize those fine cabinet-making skills he has! :D

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Mezzo Galactica_copy.pdf

Note: This is Tony Gee's favorite design among *many*:
Humble Homemade Hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.