Tools needed and help with nailing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i am about build my first speaker setup, Curts stentorians. the only problem is i dont have a nailgun or the money for one. So i was wandering if i should I use a hammer and a nail or drill some pilot holes. I am using 3/4 MDF. Also should i use wood glue at all? Right now all i have is a 18v drill and 6' and 1' hole cutter, and also a jigsaw for the braces. Also what size nails should i use and what size drillbits. Thanks!

Glue only. Plain old yellow glue. No need for any nails. A bit of rope, masking tape, or real clamps if you have them. If you insist on help keeping things aligned, then sure, drill some thin nail holes while you are doing dry fit, tap the nails in lightly so you can pull them out after the glue is dry. Drill size? TEST of course! MDF will split with a nail too tight. That is why we don't screw MDF either.

No, that's the exact opposite of what tvrgeek is saying. Best just to forget the nails.

Also note that a 6" hole saw (let alone a 6' one) will rip your wrist off if you use it with a hand drill. You will need a drill press, or better yet, a router with a circle guide.

So your saying i should just glue it together and use some clamps? is that enough? Will the enclosure be reliable?

Basically, that's about it. Glue and clamp.

Click here for an example of how to build a speaker.

Attachments

• oriole_clamps.jpg
    oriole_clamps.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 45
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.