Clarity Cap MR vs Mundorf Silver/Oil - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Clarity Cap MR vs Mundorf Silver/Oil

Does some one compared these two caps ?
The application is crossover filter for loudspeakers.

I've already read the tony gee comparison.

thank you
Old 4th July 2012, 03:21 AM   #2
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mate, we all worn out with the capacitor debate.

For sure polypropylenes are good. It does seem that some Mundorf's have 10X better ESR than the cheapies:

Quote:
OK, here's a summary:

Mundorf MCap: Bargain basement aluminium metallised with DF of 0.0002. $5.

Mundorf MCap ZN: Tin metallised foil with DF of 0.00002. $20.

Mundorf Supreme: Aluminium metallised foil with DF of 0.00002 and aluminium casing. $20.

Mundorf Silver/Oil: Silver metallised foil with DF of 0.00002 and some special casing. $60.

Mundorf Silver/oil/Gold: Silver foil with 1% GOLD added. No idea what they cost.

Mundorf RXF: Encased in some sort of solid box. No idea what they cost.

Interestingly, inductance is a function of the length of the capacitor in these low-inductance windings.

You pay your money and make your choice, I reckon.
What you gotta wonder, is whether the money you save on cheaper capacitors, which doubtless work well enough, is best spent on better tweeters or better capacitors. Is that an answer? My own preference would be to spend any excess cash on better tweeters myself. Copper pole pieces, neodymium magnets an all that. Oh and good air-core inductors.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Gents

In my opinion the capacitor debate only becomes relevant if your speakers have the resolution ability to show the differences in caps. If not, you are wasting your money. That means those who deride cap differences must simply state what speakers they use to put their comment in the correct perspective for the reader.

Regards

Jozua
Old 4th July 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diypass View Post
Does some one compared these two caps ?
The application is crossover filter for loudspeakers.

I've already read the tony gee comparison.

thank you

I have listened to both caps at a preamp output - very big difference in presentation there. SIO a clear winner, where MR has a heavy muddy bass and slightly recessed high end.

More recently compared them in a tweeter crossover - not much difference i can hear at all.
Old 4th July 2012, 08:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
I have listened to both caps at a preamp output - very big difference in presentation there. SIO a clear winner, where MR has a heavy muddy bass and slightly recessed high end.

More recently compared them in a tweeter crossover - not much difference i can hear at all.
hi analog,
about mr, around say that are more natural than silver/oil, also more dynamic and are more transparent.
what about your point of view ?
could you explain better your comparison on tweeter crossover ?

thank you
Old 4th July 2012, 09:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

At one point of time I was trying very hard to decide on picking up the best input coupling cap for an amp . I bought several brands and types. I could ( or thought I could !) hear distinct differences and ranked the capacitors from best to lowest perceived sound.
Later I found that with other amplifiers the ranking of the caps didn't match with the first test I made. So either something is wrong about how it was auditioned or each cap can behave differently depending on the behaviour of the system that it is put into. This means there is no ideal ranking for caps ! You need to try out what you want and pick what you think is best !
Old 4th July 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I think these are new for Parts Express, the cost seems reasonable:
Audyn Metalized Polypropylene Foil Crossover Capacitors
Old 6th July 2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post

I've used MR's over a dozen components, including both coupling and speaker crossovers.

In either set of applications, I would consider the MR dead neutral. If anything, the S/O is tilted to the top end, which would point out something else is amiss in your setup.
Old 6th July 2012, 03:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
I've used MR's over a dozen components, including both coupling and speaker crossovers.

In either set of applications, I would consider the MR dead neutral. If anything, the S/O is tilted to the top end, which would point out something else is amiss in your setup.
So ? what s the differences between both ?
Old 6th July 2012, 03:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Clarity MR if you have a transparent system with no need of boost in the high .. mundorf silver oil if you want some shiny highs

Hide this!Advertise here!