Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2012, 12:46 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
Here is a test baffle with a placeholder plate for the midrange, in the weekend I will try to do some polar responses and see if it measures as nice as I predict it will =)

Click the image to open in full size.

If it's as my prediction it will be close enough to -6 db @ 60 degrees all the way up to 15 khz in all directions.
Your tweeter arrangement reminds of the original Bose 601 of the 70s...I guess in that case the 601 too would qualify as omnidirectional.
Are you planning to wire all the tweeters in the same phase ? SL found better results with the Orion rear tweeter wired out of phase FYI...cant explain why !

The differing subjective perceptions of 2 back to back enclosure mounted drivers, wired in bipole vs dipole phase , even when used for the mid to high spectrum is very interesting...have not seen a good explanation though ??!!

Last edited by soundaatma; 23rd October 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:48 PM   #42
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
Your tweeter arrangement reminds of the original Bose 601 of the 70s...I guess in that case the 601 too would qualify as omnidirectional.
Are you planning to wire all the tweeters in the same phase ? SL found better results with the Orion rear tweeter wired out of phase FYI...cant explain why !

The differing subjective perceptions of 2 back to back enclosure mounted drivers, wired in bipole vs dipole phase , even when used for the mid to high spectrum is very interesting...have not seen a good explanation though ??!!
Probably has to do with needing to be out of phase to sum correctly in the rear lobe, otherwise you'll have a cancellation notch in the rear lobe.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:24 AM   #43
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post

In the test the rear ring was out of phase. My new omnis will be monopoles so they will only have a single ring of four on each speaker and all of them will be in phase yes.

And what it resembles the most is the pop box =)
Old 24th October 2012, 05:50 AM   #44
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Have you seen this?
Ultimate OB GALLERY

Old 24th October 2012, 11:31 PM   #45
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Hi,

Have you seen this?
Ultimate OB GALLERY

I saw it a long time ago but then forgot about it =)

It's an interesting concept, would be very interesting to hear impressions of that speaker type compared to normal omnis or dipoles like say the Orion.

Hide this!Advertise here!