Dipole idea: mount midrange drivers back to back without baffle - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2012, 07:11 PM   #11
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Looking for high efficiency in a small dipole is equivalent to believing in miracles. How often did you win the Grand Lottery up to now? If you count less than three - forget about your approach.

Rudolf
Which is why I'm content with a 90 db driver as long as it ticks all the other boxes =)
Old 1st July 2012, 07:32 PM   #12
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

This could be a funny driver for nudists.
accuton® Carefully selected loudspeaker drivers.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:34 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You'll have a hard time finding a 5" giving you 90 dB in an smallish baffle.... typical "hifi" drivers end up in the sub-85 dB territory.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yup, which is why I'm leaning towards pro midrange drivers which seem to be 6.5". A shallow profile is also a must.

The 6ND410 would be interesting if the cone resonances weren't so low in frequency, so current contenders are:

6ND430
6NMB420

Both are efficient enough though the 6NMB420 a bit more, I haven't found any measurements on that one though and unless I find some I will probably go with the 6ND430 since that one has been tested and proven to be awesome.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Why not use two smaller midranges and gain 6 dB sensitivity from running them in parallell?
Old 1st July 2012, 07:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
You'll have a hard time finding a 5" giving you 90 dB in an smallish baffle.... typical "hifi" drivers end up in the sub-85 dB territory.
And after gradient losses we're probably looking at even less!

FWIW the Seas M15CH002 is pretty damn good....

Quote:
Yup, which is why I'm leaning towards pro midrange drivers which seem to be 6.5". A shallow profile is also a must.
A 6.5 inch driver playing up to 2khz? No offense, but I think your design has some priority issues....

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 1st July 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Why not use two smaller midranges and gain 6 dB sensitivity from running them in parallell?
That would if I understand correctly lower my 700 ohm output impedance =)

Current plan is to buy 2 8 ohm drivers per channel and run them in series, I'm going active so sensitivity is not that important as long as they aren't inefficient.

But why not use 6.5" drivers? These drivers offer better sensitivity and measured performance than the 5" drivers I've looked at and others here on the forums have run the 6ND430 up to 2 khz dipole on small baffles without problems and so it should work for me too =)
Old 1st July 2012, 07:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

M15CH002 looks nice. But sensitivity into 4pi is a mere 81 dB ...
Old 1st July 2012, 07:54 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
That would if I understand correctly lower my 700 ohm output impedance =)

Current plan is to buy 2 8 ohm drivers per channel and run them in series, I'm going active so sensitivity is not that important as long as they aren't inefficient.

But why not use 6.5" drivers? These drivers offer better sensitivity and measured performance than the 5" drivers I've looked at and others here on the forums have run the 6ND430 up to 2 khz dipole on small baffles without problems and so it should work for me too =)
6,5" is way too big for a dipole up to 2 kHz if you want constant directivity. Even a 4" is a little to big.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
In terms of importance, the forward horizontal polar / power response eclipse the back wave 0 deg response (your apparent focus).

Why not use an actual dipole driver, like the BG Neo 8 in free air? There will be no magnet structure to worry about.

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 1st July 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!