X-Over capacitors ... What are we using ...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what are we using for caps when doing x-overs , i'm about to purchase new and was going to use Solens( old time memory and haven't tried any of the new stuff ) whats your favorite brand type and why ...?

Mundorf Supreme and Audyn Cap Plus are high end capacitors still reasonably priced.

Versus Solens you can expect a more open and detailed sound.

If you want to go further Audyn Cap True Copper are incredibly good for midrange and high frequency.

A good resource on capacitors:

Humble Homemade Hifi

I use Dayton 1% metalized polypropylene caps myself

They have fairly thick leads on them, thicker than the 5% so I get a nice solder connection to the 18 and 16AWG coils I use.

Since they are black, you get the best sound because... black is a complete lack of color so it can't "color your sound" since it contains none. :rolleyes: ;)

If that makes no sense... keep :drink: until it does. :D

I use Dayton 1% metalized polypropylene caps myself

They're hardly better than Solens Fast Cap...

I hope these are okay...I just ordered some.
Madisound Speaker Store

Clarity Cap SA are good good quality caps, better than Solens Fast Cap, better suited for midrange, less for highs.

Mundorf Supremes and Audyn Cap Plus are superior, though.

An additional note:

Use a 10nF K71-4 bypass on all those, one of the best bargains I ever made. ;)

I've got claritycap ESA in my speakers and i just did my dads with solen and i can't hear a difference worth talking about. I'd just go with whatever represents best value for money. (which is why i went solen for my dads speakers, claritycaps would have been about 4 times the price)

I use Daytons. Why? Because I can get them. I have not built speakers yet where I believed the biggest fault was the caps. I use the "fix your biggest problem first" approach. Are hand wound teflon/silver uber-priced audiophile caps better? I suspect I will never know.

Ahhhh, the voice of reason and common sense. How refreshing! :D
Paul

I've got claritycap ESA in my speakers and i just did my dads with solen and i can't hear a difference worth talking about. I'd just go with whatever represents best value for money. (which is why i went solen for my dads speakers, claritycaps would have been about 4 times the price)

Last edited:
My personal take on it is simple, use a decent quality poly cap (fast cap) etc in all areas if possible. Once values get high enough though, use a NP lytic + small film cap in parallel.

As it is your money, you decide at what price point you swap over to NP + small bypass.

Also with regards to the whole 'boutique' cap business, I cannot find any part of me that can justify spending the money on them. Even if I had millions in the bank, I'd still find it hard trying to convince myself that it's money well spent. If however you're happy spending the extra then that's up to you and as we're mostly not millionaires, I have other things I'd much rather spend those extra bucks on.

18HURTS why are you using black caps? Black is the essence of color - containing all colors so they color everything. LOL

:cool:
I've used Solen, Dayton 5% and 1% caps--I prefer the 1% since they have thicker leads. The very high value caps I run a mix of 5% running in parallel with 1% to get the values I need--just keep stacking until the Fluke reports the number I desire.

My splurge is to use poly caps since they won't dry out as fast as electrolytics. I used to think "This is the LAST speaker I'm going to build so I need the 40 year durability of poly" My next last speaker I'm going to build will be a full range so caps are not needed--so it don't count.

Girls have cooties--I'll never drink again--This is the LAST speaker I going to build.

If you can't or don't want to hear a difference, then it doesn't matter which cap you use. If you have cheap tweeters, it probably doesn't make much difference. Any basic poly cap such as Bennic or Dayton (they are the same cap) will suffice. Use either of those or Solens to replace 'lytic caps for midrange because they're cheap and available in large values.

If you can hear a difference and have a decent tweeter, Bennic and Solens just don't cut it in series with a tweeter. Solens is tinny and bright. Bennic and Clarity SA are the opposite: muddy and smothering dynamics.

Sonicap Gen I is inexpensive and good for an open, dynamic sound, but slightly rolls off the very finest details of highs.

Mundorf Silver/Oil is premium priced, and worth every penny. You can get by with a small value used as 5 to 10% parallel cap. It will reveal many details in the highs, and give a very accurate, airy presentation. It is smooth and evenly voiced, but only in a tweeter circuit, as it tends to suppress bass frequencies.

Mundorf Silver/Gold is also a very revealing cap, and can be used as a small value parallel, but it's no better than SIO and costs more. It is perhaps just a bit brighter and more detailed than SIO, but doesn't seem as "natural" sounding to me.

Right now I am experimenting with Rel TFT (teflon/tin foil) parallel. Until the V-Cap came along, it was possibly the best cap available for less than a fortune. It's still cheaper than V-Cap, but not quite as good if you are that discerning. I think it is a bit clearer than even the two Mundorf's. They are on sale at Handmade Electronics, if you're interested. I got a matched pair for less than some retailers charge for a single cap, but they're still not inexpensive.

Depends on how you define value. I know there are many other aspects of reproduction that will swamp cap sound (room acoustics, xover, source material, etc), but if you don't start eliminating every source of distortion that you can, how will you ever achieve anything? If you're satisfied listening to tunes from your MP3 or phone, don't bother. If you seek the best sound possible, EVERY facet of your system is a target for improvement. Naysayers and cheapskates will deny it, but series caps are very important in determining the ultimate sound of a good tweeter. So are series resistors, but that's another thread. (Hint: thick film instead of wirewound or metal oxide is awesome.)

Peace,
Tom E

i use MKP MKT polyester and PP wound caps. No preference to make, i use the orange epoxied polyester, 250V and over, and the typical yellow HV PP types rated at 600 V to 1500V. these are what i have easily avaiable, cheap, and sound as good as brand caps costing tenfold. Better areas to spend money on, like inductors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.