Finally, my new LAMBDA-PHL-Esg3 speakers are done. Check them out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ar,

Those speakers are gorgeous, and I love the burl you used. You should be very proud. Can you tell me where you purchased such large sheets? I'm assuming this was unbacked veneer; what sort of glue and pressing techniques did you use to attach it?
Regards,

George

Wright said:
Ar,

Those speakers are gorgeous, and I love the burl you used. You should be very proud. Can you tell me where you purchased such large sheets? I'm assuming this was unbacked veneer; what sort of glue and pressing techniques did you use to attach it?
Regards,

George
George
Thank you for the compliments,
Here are the answers to your questions:
The veneer is paper backed. I would stress that it is much better to use paper backed veneer because is more durable and less prone to glue interaction. I purchased veneer at local wood supplier in SF - McBeath. Thy suggested to go with large sheets because price drops with sheet size. They didn't have it in the stock, but they order it for me, and came about week later. I used contact cement, and applied it by pouring it on the surface and smearing it with plastic scraper. I applied two coats (drying it in between the coats) on each surface, and this was difficult because it is hard to distribute all the glue evenly, especially second coat.
For pressing, I made scraper out of plexyglass with wood handle, but what worked the best was big wooden rolling pin. The bigger and stronger rolling pin - the better. That was such a relief over a traditional scraper used for pressing veneer. I think that every place that sells veneer should start selling rolling pins.
Please let me know if you have more questions.
AR2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.