Finally, my new LAMBDA-PHL-Esg3 speakers are done. Check them out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
capslock said:
What was the glossy paint you used? Water or gasoline based? Acrylic, alkyde, PU/acrylic or PU/alkyde?

Is it hard enought so you can sand down the surface and then polish it to piano gloss?

It is oil based glossy varnish over Mapa Burl veneer. I sprayed 10 layers on each with sanding after each layer. I am very happy with finish. If I would do something different that would be how I applied conntact cement during the veneering. It would be ideal to spray it, but I didn't have that available. I applied two layers of contact cement on each surface, but that was hard to make completely even.

Congratulations!

Lately, I have found out that if I DON'T sand after each layer of varnish, and make a final sanding only, the result is more transparency and eveness. I'll post pictures of my finish very soon.

One question: where do you stay while listening to those speakers?, You don't sit in that superb sofa, do you?

You are most likely right about clarity when you do not sand between the coats, but in my case it was really important to do that. My veneer and glueing job wasn't perfect so I had a lots of small bumps that were telegraphing on the surface. By sanding it after each coat I was able to even it out pretty well.

I knew somebody will come up with that question. :D
There is a another sofa across the one shown in the picture.

Oil-based glossy veneer? I know some stuff like that, but it is in paint cans and takes pretty long to dry. Afterwards, it is still a little wax-like, so one would rather polish than sand it.

What you used seems to be different, pretty hard and in spray cans? How long does it take to dry?

Veneer not to sand in between coats? Does this also apply to alkyde/PU veneers? I sanded down each coat not down to the valleys, but to eliminate all the peaks and most of the valleys. Several coats having been applied, I automatically sanded through various layers, and the surface roughness was not completely homoenous.

Regards,

Eric

capslock said:
Oil-based glossy veneer?

It is oil based varnish. It is in a can, and you could apply it by the brush or spray it. It is available in any hardware or paint supply store. It hardness in about 6 hours, but you have to wait around 24 hours to sand it.
You could apply several layers and than sand it, or do it after each layer, but in order to do it you have to wait between each layer to dries up. Waiting for varnish to dry before next coat is the key. It took me over three weeks just for varnishing. I am not an expert in this area at all, but just by reading posts from the people here and gathering some more info in the store is helpfull.

Looks a bit like my plan. They Look real great. Whats the size of the bassboxes? Maybe a little more space with respect to the back wall/windows. a nice carpet and curtains and some cloth below the ribbon (and on the coffee table) ;)

sorry, there is already a carpet...

I have a pair of these babies (SB12) waiting to get there "little" 130 litre houses for a couple of month

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

there house will be made of this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thats 130 kilo 38 mm MDF, only for 2 bassboxes, baffle will be 52 mm, matrix intern ofcourse. Tomorow I will get another 40 kilos of MDF for the top boxes.

Highs will be Accuton C23, maybe with Flexunit 5" in the middle. I will use a Machand XM44 to xover @ 150 Hz.

Hopefully an Aleph5 for the mid/high, Probable Crown K1 or K2 for the lows (altough I'm also looking at Acoustic reality eAR 2 mkII)

Thank you for the interior design notes. :D
I use them in the family room, so no room correcting devices are allowed. Speakers are really big and I have them where it is only possible without being on the way. Most likely not ideal location, but when I play with position - close to the wall - further off the wall I didn't notice much difference. My wife and my kids are enjoying them almost as much as I do, so I am happy. Actually everybody participated in various fases of making them (holding veneer while I was centering it and pressing).
I had a great pleasure making them - it was a really mind relaxing after my work day and during weekends. It is a great hobby for me and now they sound much better than many (some pretty pricey) speakers I use to own. I use them in the space of everyday living what for our style of living impose some limitation when it comes to sound vs. decoration.
Dimensions are: Hight 31" (787mm) Width 14" (355mm) Depth 19"(482mm)
Duck-Twacy - I think you will have a great time puting it together. Lambdas are not just georgius looking speakers, but great sounding as well (as you will find out preatty soon)
I am looking forward to see your project completed.

Yes it is real, I believe Brazilian, wood.
No, I wouldn't say difficult, but time consuming. I purchased it in 4x8 ft sheets,
what helped keeping it flat. That veneer has tendency to have waives, but I guess when in the big sheets not as much. My biggest problem was that I rounded edges on the boxes, so I had to bend veneer over it. It is done only by following the grain direction of the wood. Than I lightly sanded the edges. If I didn't round the edges, than it would be really easy. You just need somebody, possibly two assistants to help you center the pieces. Veneer is easy for cutting and sanding.
Where you have to be very careful is how glue is applied.
Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.